Need Second Opinion After Umbilical Float Tummy Tuck (Unhappy with Post Op Belly Button)? (photo)

I am ~2.5mo post op; muscle plicated, 2-3in skin excised, & BB hernia repaired. BB was floated & lowered 3.5cm (stock detached & reattached so blood supply now comes from surrounding skin). Does my BB appear too low, crooked & off-centered? Can BB be repositioned or revised in shape? My PS argues my BB was too high & thinks shape will even out after swelling is gone. I also have small dog ears-PS has agreed to fix them. Is it worth it to fix them for longer scar? I dont want to look screwed up

Umbilical float abdominoplasty is a poor operation in my opinion.

+1

It properly performed abdominoplasty leave aesthetically is very acceptable umbilicus in nearly all patients. The umbilical float abdominoplasty removes much of the procedural freedom from the plastic surgeon and often times it is up with a poor looking umbilicus anyway.

Umbilical floats

+1

do work well when the limitations are understood.  Allow yourself to heal and if your belly button still looks pulled over, you can release it and center it.  As for dog ears, ask your doctor about purse-string closures to minimize lengthening the scars even more.  Finally if you think its too low, it could be excised BUT now yo have a vertical scar there and you would have to have your  belly button reconstructed if you want a dimple.

Curtis Wong, MD

Umbilical float procedure can be tricky to get right

+1

You umbilicus looks like its being 'tugged' over to the right of midline. This could probably be revised in a few months, and will require use of your transverse pelvic scar to access the umbilical stalk, disconnect it, and centralize it back onto the midline. I have not examined you of course, but that's how the situation looks to me, based on the photos you've provided.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS