If I Have a Mini Tummy Tuck and I Gain Weight, Will my Fat Be Distributed in Other Places of my Body Other Than my Belly?

I am 5'3, 143lb. I have 3 children ages, 15; 8 and 5. I am trying to gain weight and all of my fat seems to go in my belly. If I have a mini tummy tuck will the fat that I gain be distributed in other places other than my belly area such as my buttocks, thighs and hip area? I have a pudge in my belly and everyone asks if Im pregnant. Please advise.

Fat Distribution after Mini Tummy Tuck

+1

If you undergo a Mini Tummy Tuck a "small" amount of skin and fat is removed. There is no additional removal of fat in the abdomen with this procedure. Therefore, the fat cells in the abdomen can continue to increase is size with weight gain. If Liposuction of the abdomen is performed with the mini tummy tuck, fat cells are removed. With weight gain, fat will then accumulate in other parts of the body.

Thank you for your question!

Gregory C. Park, M.D.

If I Gain Weight, Will my Fat Be Distributed in Other Places of my Body?

+1

A mini- TT removes a relatively small amount of fat from your body. Any weight gain will be distributed pretty much to where it would be distributed without a TT. 

Thanks and best wishes. 

If you have a tummy tuck, can you gain weight in your abdomen?

+1

Neither a mini tummy tuck, not a full tummy tuck will likely affect where you will gain weight.  When you have a tummy tuck, the excess skin (and the fat beneath that skin) are removed.  Fat is not removed from the remaining skin of the abdomen unless you have liposuction.  Therefore, the number of fat cells in that area under your skin remains the same.  If you gain weight, those remaining fat cells will increase in size.  This is different from when you have liposuction.  With Liposuction, the number of fat cells beneath your remaining skin of your abdomen is decreased. Therefore, if you gain weight, there are fewer fat cells remaining there to gain.

Daniel P. Markmann, MD