Wanting Lip Injections, Pain Tolerance is Super Low, Suggestions?

Hi doctors! My name is Jennifer and my pain tolerance is extremely low! I'm super sensitive to needles and I tend to get really nervous and scared! I live in Los Angeles and I'm looking for a doctor who can make me feel really comfortable about getting my lips done and someone who can literally numb everything, whether I have to use a numbing cream, and a topical anesthetic.... Please let me know what I can do and who I can see.

Sensitive to needles and wanting lip injections

+2

The two main ways to anesthetize the lips are to put topicals or carry out some regional nerve blocks.  You can also inject locally but this can obscure the anatomy and may get in the way with the results. Prior to doing the injections for the regional block you can use topicals and ice to further make it more comfortable. Also using something that can create some vibrations can also make the regional blocks even more tolerable. Below is a video on lip injections for your learning and interest.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip enlargement with injections

+1

Lip injections really hurt. I use Prevelle which is the only filler that I can inject through a very tiny/small caliber, needle. I can also apply a topical anesthetic and numb the lip but the latter sometimes hurts as much as the injections!

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Decreasing pain for lip augmentation

+1

I have found that many patients in my practice are not excited about getting nerve blocks for pain control in lip augmentation because they are still injections.  My technique now consists of topical lidocaine around the mouth before injection and then using a small blunt tip, microcannula to inject the entire lip (vermillion lip border, lip body, etc.).  An entrance to the lip is created in at the corners (oral commissures) and the entire lip is able to be enhanced though 2 small needle holes.  This has greatly reduced the pain and bruising for my patients.

Jason D. Bloom, MD
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

We have been injecting fillers, in the lips, for over 20 years and IMHO topical numbing creams won't do the trick.  You would need a full dental block that can be done by your dentist before your visit or here at our office.  This is the only way, you'd be comfortable during the lip injections IMO.

Numb the lips before injecting

+1

For patients who do not tolerate injections well, it is best to numb the lips before augmentation with injections as they are about the most tender area to treat. Unfortunately, things like ice and topical anesthetics are not generally adequate. Many of the injectables have a local anesthetic in them now, but even this is not usually adequate for the lips. It is relatively easy to numb the lips with a 'dental block' but it does require the use of fine needles.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

How to inject lips relatively painlessly

+1

I have been injecting lips for the purpose of cosmetic enhancement for over 25 years, beginning with collagen derived from cows and now with hyaluronic acid products such as Juvederm and Restylane. Over the years, I have used many methods of anesthesia to reduce the pain of lip injections which include topical numbing agents, ice application, and regional nerve blocks. In my opinion, nothing compares with a technique known as a "dental block". The initial injections are done using an intra-oral technique. After swabbing an area on the mucous membranes inside the lip with a numbing solution used by dentists (called a Caine Tip), I inject a local anesthetic (lidocaine) at several points to completely block the nerve sensory fibers from reaching the lip. It is quick and relatively simple to do, quite reliable, and results in almost painless injection treatments for lip enhancement.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Blocks for Lip Injections

+1

This is a common concern actually. Some offices do not use pre numbing blocks, but I do it for every injection I do. First, it makes the patient more comfortable, and second, lidocaine with epi (which is what I use) can actually lead to less swelling and bruising. It's a win-win. Several of the physicians who posted responses to you are located close to you, but additionally, you can just call around and find board-certified physicians who will pre numb the area with a block. I think that's all you'll need.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Lip injections are totally painless when done with numbing cream and nerve blocks.

+1

My patients are so happy with lip injections because I do the nerve blocks to numb up the lips painlessly.  You don't have to worry about being scared and in any pain at all.  It is very easy and comfortable to get done.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation

+1

Hi Jennifer!  You are not alone!  There are many advanced ways to address the pain with lip injections.  In my office, we use a custom topical anesthetic to numb your lips.  Combined with fillers that have additional local anesthetic in it already, this seems to be well tolerated without the need for local blocks.  Occasionally, a local block may be needed, but the combination of topical and local anesthetic in the filler seems to do the trick.  Of course, the skill of the injector is also important and he/she needs to do this with patience to minimize any discomfort.  We want you to be comfortable during this process!

Kimberly Lee, MD

Local Blocks for Lip Augmentation

+1

Hi Jennifer,

Lip injections can be done painlessly with a series of nerve blocks to numb both the upper and lower lip completely.  The blocks are done after application of a topical anesthetic to the inside of the lip.  Then a small injection of local anesthetic is used in specific locations to get your lips numb, and within a few minutes you are ready to have fuller lips!

This is very well tolerated and is usually very surprizing to the first-timer.

Behrooz Torkian, MD