Wanting Breast Lift with Implants - Least Amount of Scarring Possible

I am wanting a lift with the least amount of scaring ( possibly peri -aeriola?) and a breast augmentation at the same time, I want to go somewhat on the larger size (400-500cc) I want to end up about a size DD, I am 5'6 and 130 lbs. I am willing to trade some lift for less scarring. I am wanting to know if this is advisable/possible for me, and if so what the approx cost would be. I am able to travel for the right doc but many won't offer est. w/o in person consult which is not always possible.

Implants with or without lift?

+1
Because you would like large implants, your nipple position is borderline and you are will to accept some droopiness, you might consider having augmentation only at this point.  Reassess your result after six months to decide if you would like to proceed with a lift as well.

Incision Placement for Breast Lift with Implants

+1

It’s virtually impossible to make recommendations regarding breast lift surgery without being able to perform a physical exam. Your pictures suggest that a peri-areolar lift is definitely a possibility for treating your breast sag, but its use might require aesthetic compromises.

These compromises might involve the shape of the breasts and the quality of scars. Smaller incisions may require more gathering of the skin and more tension on the closure, which can often result in unattractive scars. Failure to remove excess skin can often result in distortion of the breast shape and residual breast sag.

In addition, the use of larger breast implants is problematic. Larger implants can cause pressure on the overlying muscle and skin flaps. This in turn has the potential to damage blood supply to the nipple areola complex and cause skin necrosis. In addition, larger implants can cause tension on the wound closure, which might cause wound breakdown and spread of the scar. For these reasons, most plastic surgeons don’t perform breast lifts when larger implants are utilized.

Under these circumstances, great care needs to be taken when choosing the best treatment option for any particular patient. In your case, it may depend on your aesthetic goals and willingness to make compromises. It’s important to consult a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in this area. This surgeon should be able to make an appropriate recommendation for your condition. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant with lift with minimal scar

+1
We hear this request all the time.  Volume and fullness, (from the implant), and lift.  It is difficult to say without a true exam.  Their may be trade-offs, size, shape, scar.   Best to speak with a board certified plastic surgeon and address your concerns.  Together you will come up with a plan that is right for you.  

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Periareolar breast lift plus implants for least scarring breast lift

+1
Thank you for your question.  I agree with others that a periareolar breast lift may be possible for you which is the least scarring that is possible with a breast lift.

You already have a significant amount of breast tissue and should follow the advice of your plastic surgeon regarding the size of breast implants that will be best for you.  Next

In my experience implants and the 500 cc range are quite large and when combined with a breast lift can cause healing problems and scarring issues and spreading of the scar around the areola.  In my practice I rarely put larger than 350 cc implants during a breast lift.

Please consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, very experienced in breast lift surgery, and who has an excellent reputation in your community.  Please read the link below.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Bennelli Lift has minimal scarring for breast aug with lift

+1

The Bennelli Lift is a periareolar scar, which will soon fade such that you will not even notice it.  I use the technique often when I am performing  a breast aug with a lift.  With the Bennelli technique you will not be compromising any of the 'lift' .  You will get perky breasts with a youthfully positioned nipple.  Yes, you can have it all! 

Please read my blog post below which is explains the procedure in greater detail.

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

Breast augmentation and mastopexy

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

Based on experience, I would suggest that your 1st concern should be obtaining the best results possible (scarring concerns should be secondary).  Most patients undergoing this procedure will accept scarring as long as their overall goals in regards to size, shape, contour and symmetry are met. 

In other words, if you select your surgeon based on  the offer of a “limited scar” procedure you may be disappointed with the results.

Also, be careful about communicating your goals with specific cup size references.  You may find this to be inaccurate and again a source of dissatisfaction postoperatively. In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Breast Lift with Implants

+1

Based on your profile picture, my recommendation would be a circumvertical lift and submuscular augmentation.  I find the perioareolar lift to do a nice job of lifting the nipple position a few centimeters, but not great for breast reshaping.   In addition, similar to a facelift or tummy tuck, it is how you reshape the deeper tissues that leads to a long lasting result.   I believe a circumvertical (lollipop) incision will allow for this parenchymal/breast tissue reshaping.   

In addition, the additional weight of a 500 cc implant will cause the breast skin to stretch regardless of technique used (rock in a sock), therefore this must be taken into account.

I recommend that you consider slightly more scar (lollipop) such that you can obtain the best and longest lasting shape.

Paul S. Gill, MD

Short scar mastopexy breast lift: not always the best option or choice

+1

You should really serach the patient: "Peri-areolar breast lift with augmentation- Not Happy" on realself to see why a lift wtih the "Least amount of scarring possible" (in your own words) is not always a good idea. Sometimes a longer scar can achieve a better result.

Lifts and augmentation with overly large implants

+1

Granted it is not possible to be certain from the photo but it looks as if your nipple position is high enough relative to the inframammary crease that you don't have enough ptosis (sag) to need a lift and can be filled out with a lift effect using an implant alone. This could limit the scar to 2 cm in the inframammary crease with a saline implant or 3 1/2 to 4 cm for a gel implant. Again, an implant does not truly lift the breast but gives the effect of a lift by filling out the breast, particularly the lower pole. A periareolar incision type lift doesn't actually lift the breast either and only appears to be beneficial in breasts like yours that don't really need a lift. I also disagree that the size of the implant will make the breast sag in the future. If you're going to sag in the future you're going to sag. If the implant is too big for the breast then it may also cause distortions including malposition of the implant or bottoming. 

It is exceedingly difficult to control and predict outcomes with both a lift and an implant, particularly with large implants. Breasts that are lifted without implants look bigger and therefore the effect is magnified with a lift and an implant. Also implants with a lot of forward projection work against the successful lift and can stretch the scars required for the lift among other problems. 

I would recommend a properly sized implant (based on the width of your breast) without the lift and use a high profile for maximum forward volume that your tissues will tolerate without causing problems. Down the road if your breast sags and you need a lift then consider it with or without doing anything about the implant. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Less scar breast lift and augmentation

+1

You would be a great candidate for a periareolar breast lift and augmentation.  You may not be as perky as you would be if you did a full "anchor" type incision, but the benefit of less scar sounds like it would be better for you.  The larger implant will also enhance the ability to use this approach.

Jonathan Heistein, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon