I Am Wanting 550 or 600cc Breast Implants, is That Too Big for my Frame?

I am 33 years old, 5'6", 155lbs, small 36C....had 1 child, breast feed and lost volume. I had a consult and decided to do silicone implants subfascial. I told the Dr. I wanted to end up being a D/DD range....he told me to do the rice test and start at 475cc and try a few up from there and bring in some photos of my end result. After doing the rice test and wearing around, I liked the look the 550cc gave me.....just have read you need to go up 25-30cc once you find the size you like, help?

Sizing breast implants

+1

In my opinion and experience, choosing an implant size/volume and working backwards doesn't work well. It would be like choosing a dress or shoe size and then making it fit rather than finding out what fits and what effect it would have and then seeing what size that is. I do not find external sizing such as the "rice test" and external implants to be helpful at all and can be quite misleading for the final actual result. I don't think larger implants cause sagging or drooping later on (nor do they correct it or prevent it). I think too large implants don't fit where they belong and can end up stretching, distorting, or being malpositioned. The computer imaging approach is getting better with experience and modification. 

I recommend measuring the breast width upright and with arms down and subtracting about a cm to find the correct diameter for the implant. The forward profile of low, medium, or high (not always called that) is then chosen to increase breast size by about 1 - 2 cup sizes. The volume of the implant in cc's is then taken from the implant sizing charts. This way it is known that the implant will fit and what effect it will have. It's not exact, but it's more consistent than other methods I've seen or heard. 

Denver Plastic Surgeon

550 or 600c?

+1

Besides the rice test, trying on that size implant in an elastic brassiere will give you a feel for the size you might attain. Implants that size are quite wide, and a comparison to the measured width of your breast is important--using an implant that is wider than your breast tissue is likely to  look quite unnatural. 

All that stated, 550 to 600 cc is big on almost any frame!

Try before you buy

+1

That does sound like it could be a little big for your frame but there are too many variable to be able to say without seeing you in person. We carry a full range of sizes for patients to try on with a sports bra so they can see and feel for themselves how each size and shape of implant feels.

We specialize in providing patients with a natural look and advise against implants that might look out of proportion and unnatural even though there is a trend towards that in the media.

The best thing to do would be to find a local plastic surgeon you trust and see them for a consultation.

Sofia K. Kirk, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Sizing?

+1

In order to give you accurate advice, much more information is needed.  most importantly, physical examination will determine your current situation;  a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals will also be critical in determining which operation and/or breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "D/DD" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. 
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.

Although potentially helpful, I do not think that the use of pre-operative sizers and/or “rice test”  is a precise enough way to communicate goals.  As you can imagine, a breast implant size or placed on the chest wall will not necessarily create the same look as the same size placed on the rib cage ( below the pectoralis muscle).

Again, clear communication with your plastic surgeon will be critical in the process of achieving your goals.

Implant choice

+1

Without an exam, it is hard to tell what would be good for you.  If your doctor suggested 475 and do the rice test, and you come in at 550 that might be ok.

Breast augment size

+1
A DDD is pretty large and you are putting yourself at risk for a breast lift at some point down the road. Remember also that you are likely to gain a few pounds along the way so it is better to be a little conservative.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

+1

It might work, but breast augmentation is definitely all about look and proportion and it's not possible to comment without knowing what your look is. Resubmit your question with medical quality front and side view photos and you will probably get a number of opinions from the consultants.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Sizing implants

+1

I have found that all patient sizing strategies fall short because they can't accurately determine skin changes and volume.  We use Vectra XT which is a 3D imaging simulator that can give you an idea of what size you will be.  While it can't determine exactly what you will look like it does give you a better idea that all of the other techniques.

Delio Ortegon, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon