If I Wanted a Tummy Tuck What Would Be my Price Range to Get to 180lbs? (photo)

I'm 5"4 and 215lbs wanting to get a tummy tuck. Diet and exercise helps a little but I can not seem to get back to my ideal size.What would be my prize range for such a surgery?

Tummy Tuck To Lose Weight

+2

Tummy tucks are not a weight loss surgery and it is unusual to take off mre than a few pounds. From your photo it appears most of your weight is inside the abdomen rather than just under the skin and a tummy tuck will have absolutly no effect on that. At 5'4" and 215# your BMI is about 37. That's too high for safe outpatient surgery and much too high for good results with a tummy tuck. In my practice I would want to see you at a BMI less than 30 so a weight less than 170# and then do an exam to see if the surgery would be of benefit.

Tummy Tucks Aren't Operations For Weight Reduction

+2

You should try a bit harder to lose weight before surgery.  Tummy tucks are not procedures for weight loss, but this does seem to be a common misconception.  A tummy tuck definitely would not result in the removal of a volume of tissue weighing the 35 pounds which you are seeking.

John Whitt, MD

Tummy Tuck Candidate?

+2

Although you may not be able to achieve your “ideal” weight,  it is in your best interests to achieve a long-term stable weight prior to undergoing tummy tuck surgery. This will allow you to achieve the best results possible and minimize the chances that further surgery will become necessary ( if you lose additional weight after the tummy tuck surgery).

Costs of surgery will vary from region to region and from surgeon to surgeon;  please don't make this the primary factor in choosing your plastic surgeon.  Experience, safety record, and quality of work will matter most.

No tummy tucks are done for weight loss

+2

Unfortunately, you will need to lose the weight BEFORE a tummy tuck is a safe and reasonable surgery for you as it is done to tighten the muscles and remove extra skin but not for creating weight loss.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Tummy tucks are not measured in pounds.

+1
Thank you for your post.
In considering the cost of a Tummy Tuck, you should look at the components of the cost:
1. Surgeons Fee. This is usually the greatest part of the overall cost and can vary immensly from location to location (just like the cost of living varies in each location) as well as in the same location, it can vary from surgeon to surgeon. Usually, a surgeon commanding a higher price is very experienced and has very good results reliably, and is very busy due to the above. This also depends on if a circumferential, tummy tuck, extended tummy tuck, full tummy tuck, mini tummy tuck, and skin only tummy tuck is performed. These are usually less expensive in decreasing order.
2. Anesthesia Fee. This can vary depending on if a board certified MD anesthesiologist is used, vs. a nurse anesthetist, vs. a non-certified nurse, vs. only local anesthesia (an awake procedure). Obviously, the further you go down the line, the cheaper the price. You do get what you pay for.
3. Facility Fee. This can vary if it is a a state/medicare certified facility, vs. the back of a doc's office.
4. Accessories. This includes things like a pain pump, Exparol injections (72 hour long lasting numbing), garments, tissue glues, etc. These are not necessary for a great result, just add to the comfort of a result.
5. Revision. Usually a revision such as dog ears or lowering the scar, or a seroma, is much less that the original surgery, but this depends entirely on what exactly is being done.
6. Add on surgeries are usually discounted, as in a mommy makeover.
7. Insurance. If an insurance based surgery, such as a hernia repair is done at the same time, the tummy tuck may be discounted.
As with anything in life, buyer beware of risks of cutting corners in surgery.
Real Self has average costs of every operations in your location that you can peruse before seeing a surgeon, but keep in mind that the above quality can change from office to office. Choose a surgeon that you are very comfortable with and is board certified.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck is not for weight loss

+1

Thank you for your question. Surprisingly, a tummy tuck does not usually result in a significant amount of weight loss. A tummy tuck removes extra skin, some fat in the lower tummy, and tightens the muscles of the tummy.  For best results, lose as much weight as you can beforehand so that more skin can be removed and more muscle tightening can be done.  The average cost for a tummy tuck is about $8,000. I do not know what the average price is in Miami.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS