I want to try Laser Liposuction but ​I'm afraid of a terminal illness is doing the surgery instead a better option? (photo)

I am 19 years of age ; I do struggle a lot with my tummy , I do go to the gym , I but weight keeps on fluctuating I lost a lot of weight once by dieting but after I stopped I gained a lot of weight back I really want to get rid of the excess fat on my tummy and to get a waist size 26 or 28 from 33that I have now

Weight loss versus surgery

In the long-term, you will do much better if you can manage to keep your weight under control.

I have certainly done surgery on patients your age, but if you can get the same or better results on your own, then you're better off not having surgery.

A few thoughts on the weight loss: 

While liposuction is generally not prescribed as a treatment for obesity, most patients who get liposuction are somewhat overweight.

From having met thousands of people interested in liposuction, I have had ample opportunity to talk to many people about their struggle with weight. A few repeating patterns seem to emerge.

Perhaps the most common one is people not eating frequently enough. Losing weight by not eating is a fallacy. In reality, we tend to over-eat after having gone hungry.

Another common misunderstanding is the relationship between weight and exercise. Most patients are not successful at losing weight by exercising without changes in diet.

Weight is 90% diet. Exercise has to do with fitness.

Think of diet and exercise as two separate entities with two separate purposes.

That said, I encourage everyone to exercise on a regular basis.

The majority of people get hungry from working out and tend to over-eat afterwards, sometimes feeling justified to do so after a strenuous workout.

The number of calories burned during a typical workout session is far less than people believe.

Any successful weight reduction program has to be based on permanent change. Any temporary diet plan will ultimately fail if not followed by permanent changes in behavior.

Understand the role that insulin plays in obesity and what causes insulin surges. If you read the late Dr. Atkins' book, you will learn that his obsession was with controlling insulin much more so than with eliminating carbohydrates.

Learn about the glycemic index and glycemic loads. Avoid eating meals that give a high glycemic load. This is somewhat similar to saying avoid eating large carbohydrate-based meals, though understanding what foods constitute as bad carbohydrate meals is critical. This will be learned after mastering the concepts of the glycemic index and glycemic load.

Here are my rules to keep weight under control:
  1. Never go hungry.
  2. Never eat a large meal. 
  3. Never, never, never eat a large meal when you are hungry.
  4. Avoid large carbohydrate-based meals.
  5. Don't expect exercise to get your weight down and don't blame the lack of exercise for not being able to maintain your weight.
  6. Step on the scale every day after you get out of the shower in the morning.
  7. Accept weight fluctuations. 
None of us stay at the same weight or continue to go down in weight. Don't beat yourself up if you gain a few pounds.

It's the long-term, rest-of-your-life progress that matter.

I hope that is of some help.

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Liposuction

I would suggest finding a good diet and exercise program for life that you can do to manage your weight issues.  Liposuction will remove a collection of fat, but is not a weight loss procedure and will not control future weight gain. I am not certain of your terminal illness question. You may also want to be checked for food allergies. eating wrong foods, food you are allergic to, can make weight loss very difficult.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Laser liposuction and options

Although, laser liposuction is a good treatment to aid in the removal of areas of excess fat,  no liposuction is a substitute for a good diet and exercise program.  I would suggest you get back on a reasonable diet and exercise program you can stay on, indefinitely.  Then, if you have problem areas of fat you may consider options such as laser liposuction.  best wishes Dr Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon