Mastopexy/augmentation Didn't Provide Lift - What Should I Do?

Wanted a mastopexy with augmentation, looks like I got just the augmentation. Very unhappy with nipple placement. PS, I think, was afraid that raising the nipple much would cause too much Puckering with circumareolar lift. Two weeks post-op and now I have both puckering and nipples too low. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Mastopexy/Augmentation Revision?

+1

Given that you are only 2 weeks after surgery,  and is much too early to evaluate the results. At approximate 6 months after your operation you will be able to evaluate the results and the potentially for further surgery.

SEE VIDEO BELOW: Breast lift and implants: Nipples are too low

+1

A lift and augmentation are operations with opposing goals creating a tug of war effect on the scars. Allow at least 6-9 months to ellapse and then consider a minor procedure to adjust the position of the nipples once a stable appearance has been achieved.

Circumareola lift

+1

Since you are only two weeks out after surgery, you may still be too early to see the final result. You should give it some more time, at least 4 months or so, to get a better handle on how they will look.

Not an "uplifting" experience

+1
The best I can give you would be to allow the beasts to heal and the tissues to softened over 3-6 months. At that point a lift can be performed over your existing implants. The lift may require a vertical or a vertical & horizontal incision to position the nipple correction. Good luck

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Vertical breast lift with lollipop scars is most effective.

+1

1)  Of course you should not do anything for several months.

2)  It sounds like eventually the puckering and the persistent sagging and the low nipples can be corrected with vertical lift.  Very effective technique, and women accept scars just fine because they love their new shape.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Unsatisfactory Breast Augmentation / Lift

+1

Regarding :"...Very unhappy with nipple placement. PS, I think, was afraid that raising the nipple much would cause too much Puckering with circumareolar lift. Two weeks post-op and now I have both puckering and nipples too low"

At 2 weeks after surgery you are not close to seeing the final result. I would wait a few months before getting upset. In the meantime, continue to follow up with your surgeon.

Is it possible that you / your surgeon erred in going with a circumareolar Breast Augmentation lift instead of having a lollipop incision Augmentation / Lift? You bet. No one likes a vertical scar down the middle of their breasts IF they can be avoided. But, as you know, not all breast sagging is alike. While some sagging can easily be corrected with either a CRESCENT or CIRCUMAREOLAR Mastopexy, others can only be made to look attractive and place the nipples in the middle of the breasts ONLY if redundant skin is removed from the lower breast REQUIRING a vertical (IE lollipop) scar.

Oftentimes, the patient would gently coerce the surgeon towards using an inordinately large implant and push a circumareolar approach to do a lift it cannot physically accomplish. The result - persistently low nipples on large breasts with a lot of tension on the areola resulting in much larger areolas and rapid breast sagging requiring a larger operation to repair properly.

I am NOT saying this is what happened in your case but it is so common that it may be applicable. The best option is to wait and see how the breast look in 6 months time. Hope it works well for you.

Please wait till the swelling is resolved

+1

If your nipple is below the highest projection of the breast,then you will need to have revision mastopexy later. In general the circumareolar lift is not very effective lift since it is only skin lift and does not support the lower pole of the breast. Please wail till the healing is complete.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Redoing a breast lift

+1

You should let the tissues heal for 3-4 months and see the final result at that point.  If the result is still too low but the implants look good, it is very possible to relift the breasts with a vertical or an anchor scar depending on how much extra skin you have.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Breast lift from mastopexy/augmentation

+1

Mastopexy (breast lift) may be done in conjunction with breast augmentation (implants) in order to achieve a better shape and position of the breast. Several different approaches and incisions are available, such as the circumareolar (around the nipple) one you mention. At only 2 weeks after your surgery, there are many changes still occurring in the breast and it is too early to tell what the final results will look like. Your plastic surgeon should be able to advise you on the exact procedures that were performed. It is often necessary to wait a few weeks to months before the breasts will assume their final shape, and before you should make a decision as to whether or not you are satisfied with the surgery.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD