Want Veneers on Both Lateral Teeth, Do I Need Additional Internal Bleaching First? (photo)

Both lateral teeth grew in with white spots and now as an adult are much more stained than the other teeth. One of the lateral teeth has had a root canal and 3 or 4 sessions of internal bleaching, due to a cyst that grew right next to the root of that tooth. I'm currently whitening my teeth at home but am wondering if I need more internal bleaching of the lateral tooth, shown in the picture, before having Veneers put on?

Bleaching Endodontically Treated Tooth Prior to Veneer

+2

I would not bleach teeth prior to veneering as they will have a tendency to relapse later and change the color of the veneer.  The restoration should be designed with enough thickness to minimize show through from the underlying tooth.  Any discoloration of the prepared tooth should also be blocked out prior to placing the veneer.

Phoenix Cosmetic Dentist

Should I bleach before veneers?

+2

I would not bother internally bleaching first. In general, bleached teeth revert, and you don't want it darkening down the road. Also, in your case, it looks like it will require extensive preparation (reduction) on the facial aspect anyway due to it's protrusion, so the color will be mostly removed with ample room for porcelain to mask it.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Should I Have Internal Whitening (bleaching) Before Veneers?

+2

Some root canal teeth turn dark inside. Internal bleaching is a way to lighten the color of a dead tooth from the inside. It can take multiple sessions and you can achieve a substantial improvement.

After more than 20 years as a cosmetic dentist in Denver, I have done less and less internal whitening. While many teeth can be lightened to a nice result, this type of whitening also has a lot of fading and these teeth tend to get gray again fairly quickly. 

The beauty of porcelain veneers comes from their ability to let a lot of the natural light come through your tooth and the veneer. In your situation, the cosmetic dentist and the lab will want to block more of that internal color and make your veneer so it is not susceptible to the internal color changes.

At this point in your care, I would not worry about doing any more internal whitening.

You have nice looking teeth, so the veneers will make for a very nice result. Make sure that you and your cosmetic dentist really look at everything that shows in your full smile. Right now I understand that you are really focused on the two lateral dark teeth. When those are changed you will probably notice your front teeth more. Since your two front teeth are not exactly even, make sure that you and he have discussed what the final result will look like.

Scott Greenhalgh, DDS
Denver Cosmetic Dentist

Whitening teeth before porcelain veneers

+2

You have beautiful shape of the teeth and aesthetics, especially color and structure can be significantly improved with porcelain veneers. The internal bleaching most likely won`t be beneficial at this point. You can get your porcelain veneers without additional procedures.

Olga Kharevich, DMD, PhD (in memoriam)
Miami Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers can be done without whitening the teeth more

+2

At this point I would go ahead and prep the teeth for veneers - In this day and age with photography and laboratory technology it can be matched without a problem.  You will be very pleased with the outcome!

Frank Orlando, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Discoloration and veneers

+1

At this point, you will be better by doing the veneers. If you want to do more whitening , do it because you want your other teeth whiter and your dentist can match the color of your teeth. Keep in mind porcelain does not whitten and you want your smile to look great! If you are happy with the color of your teeth, veeners will look awesome!

Pamela Marzban, DDS
Fairfax Cosmetic Dentist

Bleach before veneers

+1

If you are planning on veneering the teeth anyway I would skip internally bleaching them.  I do not think it will be beneficial enough to justify doing it.  Stick with the veneers and you will be very happy.

Leonard Tau, DMD
Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Internal Bleaching and Veneers

+1

While internal bleaching can often work well, if you plan veneers, it is best not to internal bleach at this time but match the existing color with the veneers.

Mickey Bernstein, DDS
Memphis Cosmetic Dentist

Internal bleaching before veneers

+1

I wouldn't recommend internal bleaching prior to veneer placement. The internally whitened teeth relapse over time. Then, that would shine through the veneer and make it look darker.

Dr. Sue Wendling

Sue Wendling, DMD
Portland Cosmetic Dentist

Whitening Before Veneers

+1

You shouldn't need to internal bleach -- however if you want ALL of your teeth whiter then whiten all of  your teeth before getting the veneers placed.  Looking at your photos -- I can see that several of your teeth are out of alignment.  If you perfect the only the 2 laterals -- beware the rest of the asymmetries in your smile will become more evident.  Right now your laterals stand out because they are the biggest distraction in your smile. When you get them perfected, the other imperfections on other teeth are going to stand out  more.  Only pointing that out so you know what to expect.

Susan Goode Estep, DMD
Atlanta Cosmetic Dentist