I want a Tummy Tuck, my ventral hernia and rectus diastasis repaired at the same time. Any recommendation on a plastic surgeon?

I have found one doctor who will go through my insurance for the abdominal and hernia repair and who is giving a large discount for the plastic portion but I'm not happy with his before and after pics. Id there hope for me out there to find a physician who can do the same. I don't want to be put under twice. I'm 5'5 weighing about 145 and a mother of 4 and this is my second hernia in 6 months. My last incarcerated hernia was when I was 8 mnths preg.

+1
      If you are not happy with the results you anticipate, then you should probably continue to search.

TT, hernia

+1
If you don't like the results being shown, continue shopping. Since this hernia is a recurrent one, you may want to find a plastic surgeon who can work at the same setting with a general surgeon, who is more likely to have experience dealing with recurrent abdominal wall hernias. 

All the best. 

+1
Hi and thanks for your question. Although the costs involved should be a consideration, never let it be the determining factor. Insurance companies will often cover hernia repairs, however, they never cover the cosmetic portion of the procedure.

Cosmetic surgery should never be made on impulse and needs to be researched well. Costs will vary depending on the area of the country you live in and the experience of the surgeon you eventually choose.

Always seek out the opinion of a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery with years of experience in tummy tucks. Furthermore request to see before and after photos of previous patients by that doctor....not a clinic or surgery center. Do your homework......research and verify the doctor's credentials. Have they had problems with the Board of Medicine, disciplinary or otherwise. Any law suits?

How about the center, clinic or facility? Are they accredited by a national organization or do they just have State approval. Understand that at the current time, there are three nationally recognized organizations responsible for the highest levels of patient safety, AAAASF, AAACH and JCHO. You owe it to yourself to position yourself for the best possible results but under the most stringent safety regulations, If you have kids, even more so.

How about anesthesia? Will you have a medical doctor certified by the American Board of Anesthesiology or a certified nurse anesthetist (CRNA)? Understand that there is no substitute for research. Cosmetic surgery, no matter how simple it may be to the patients, are invasive procedures and as such carry certain risks and complications.

In our office we use TouchMD which is a web based program in which patients have the ability to load their picture unto the program. I then evaluate them and can actually draw on the picture to show a potential patient where the incisions would be located and how the procedure is to be realized. It's all done to comply with HIPPA which is the federal law that protects the patient's medical information. Look them up.

Give yourself the highest percentage of a sucssesful operation. Good luck

Jose Perez-Gurri, MD