I Want to Get a Tummy? (photo)

I am 31,211lb 5 ft 6in ,non smoker non drinker , after having 4 children my stomach is very saggy am I too big too get a tummy tuck ?i also have hypothyroidism ,iam on 100mg daily

Tummy Tuck and Weight Loss

+2

From the photos you provided, you do indeed look like a candidate for a tummy tuck.  With four pregnancies behind you it's no wonder your muscles are lax and your skin is stretched.  As you know, these problems will not resolve themselves and abdominoplasty plus light liposuction would go a long way toward giving you your shape back.

However, I do agree with what my colleagues suggest here: your results would be greatly enhanced if you could also lose some weight.  You don't need to approach an "ideal" number--you'd find that even shedding 15 pounds in combination with a tummy tuck would work wonders for your torso.  Why not make the procedure a reward for dropping some weight?!

Good luck.

Eliott Jacobs, M.D.

Tummy Tuck Candidate?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures. At some point, you will likely be an excellent candidate for tummy tuck surgery. Best to achieve your long-term stable weight prior to proceeding however. Doing so, will decrease risks associated with the procedure and improve the outcome achieved. Make sure, that your thyroid  hormone levels  are within normal as you continue on your weight loss program.

I have also attached some advice that I provide to my patients who are about to go tummy tuck surgery:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.
5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery. 

I hope this,  and the attached link, helps.

I Want to Get a Tummy?

+2

Always best to lose some weight before undergoing a TT. I would like you to try to ,use 20 to 30 pounds. 

Tummy Tuck

+2

A tummy tuck can be an effective tool for shaping and sculpting the body for better body appearance and improved self esteem.
Sometimes no amount of diet and exercise can create a flat tummy. Tummy tuck plastic surgery actually tightens abdominal muscles and removes excess fat and skin from the stomach area to create a tighter, slimmer, smoother belly. A tummy tuck can be combined with other procedures such as liposuction of your waists or flanks (i.e. love handles) to fine tune your result.

Patients choose abdominoplasty cosmetic surgery for a number of reasons, including:
Excess abdominal skin following weight loss; Weight gain (beer belly or spare tire) from a sedentary lifestyle; Abdominal fat that is resistant to diet and exercise; Stretched stomach muscles from pregnancy; Desire for a thinner profile; Desire to look younger and fitter; Desire to fit into clothes better.

I recommend you visit with an ASPS member plastic surgeon to further explore your options and to find out if you are a candidate for this procedure.
Best wishes!
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck.

+2

Hello

I think you will be a good candidate for a tummy tuck, however i think you should also lose some weight prior to any surgery so you can enhance your results.

Regards

Stephen Salerno

Stephen Salerno, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

I Want to Get a Tummy?

+2

The optimal thing to do is lose weight before surgery as much as possible. In my experience with patients like you, doing a tummy tuck and liposuction on sides achieved such a positive impact on the patient's self-esteem, which leads her to achieve weight loss is important after surgery that can be breathtaking.

Walkiris Robles, MD

Am I a TT candidate?

+2

How is your weight? Is this your steady weight or are you planning on losing some? It would be best if you can lose about 20-25lbs to get to a healthier weight, maintain it and then go to a consultation for a TT.  When you are at that point, you can go over your concerns, expectations and learn your options at your consultation.  Try to see at least 3 board certified plastic surgeons.  ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Want a tummy tuck

+2

Your body mass index is 34 which is in the obese range.  Often, but not always, that means the fat inside your belly, not the outside fat that plastic surgeons can alter, is excessive and would prevent you from getting a flat abdomen no matter what is done to the extra skin and fat on the outside.  Also, most people who have the amount of excess that you will have after losing weight, will end up needing more than just the ordinary tummy tuck to improve the overall lower trunk. 

Al Aly, MD

I Want to Get a Tummy Tuck?

+2

I think that you could probably benefit from a weight loss of 30 lbs or so.  This will significantly improve the result and reduce complications.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Tummy tuck post pregnancy

+1

You would be a good candidate for a full tummy tuck . A tummy tuck would definetly remove the excess skin and flatten your core. From your picture it looks like you have good skin (though I can't see any stretch marks) from the provided photo.  See a plastic surgeon to evaluate your specific circumstance.

Raj S. Ambay, MD