I Want to Get Smartlipo Triplex but Prefer General Anesthetic Instead of Local, Can I?

I have high blood pressure when I get nervous so im going to get really nervous with local anesthetic, can I tell the dr. to perform the smartlipo triplex on my tummy and double chin with general anesthetic instead, so I can be fully asleep and not feel any stabbing pains? Because I heard you even feel pain when theyre injecting you the local on all areas.

SmartLipo and anesthesia

+1

Absolutely you can have this procedure done under general anesthesia. In fact if you have underlying medical issues this can be a safer option as you have a board certified physician anesthesiologist taking care of you the entire time. I would say of the several hundred liposuction procedures I do yearly, roughly 90% of these patients CHOOSE to have general anesthesia and I'm happy to say we have a perfect safety record!

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Anesthesia Choice for Smart Lipo Decided by You and Surgeon

+1

SmartLipo can be performed using local or general anesthesia.  Most people choose to use local because it is safer, eliminates the recovery from general anesthesia, and may allow for a better result because you can actively change positions during the procedure.

If you're concerned about pain during the procedure under local anesthesia or worried that you'll be "freaked out" by being alert, don't be.  I cannot recall a single patient who was particularly bothered by either.  In terms of pain, there is only minimal discomfort at the beginning of numbing.  If you tend to faint or are particularly anxious, there are minimally sedating medicines that make the procedure easy.

Lawrence A. Osman, MD
Woodland Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Smartlipo triplex can be done with local or general anesthesia

+1
The triplex can be used with local or general anesthesia. Sedation, which produces a twilight like sleep can also be used. You and your doctor can decide which is best for you based on your health, temperament, and procedures being done. I often prefer the patient not being under general anesthesia but it is nice to have all the options.

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

General anesthesia increases the risks of this surgery and decreases best results

+1

The beauty of tumescent liposuction and SmartLipo when performed in conjunction with tumescent liposuction is that it offers the ability to decrease the risks of liposuction dramatically.  That means doing it under local anesthetic rather than general anesthesia.

The main risk of doing any of these procedures is the anesthetic, nothing else.  General anesthesia, while usually safe, does have risks that you won't wake up.  Additionally, it makes the areas lie in a flaccid manner, thereby not giving the surgeon a 'correct' anatomic view of how they look in real life.

There are many reasons that tumescent liposuction using local anesthesia has the amazing track record that it does.  The biggest is that it avoids the problems associated with general anesthesia.  If your surgeon has good staff and knows what they are doing, you won't feel anything at the time of the surgery and your recovery will be much better than if you go with general.  Good luck.

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologist

SmartLipo Triplex is Usually Under Local or Sedation Anesthesia

+1

SmartLipo can be performed using strictly local anesthesia, local with sedation, or under full general anesthesia.  I have used, and offer, all these anesthetic options.

Smartlipo results are not dependent on the anesthesia.  Even under general anesthesia, your doctor will infiltrate local anesthetic to help constrict the tissues.

Talk to your surgeon.  If your health is fine, a general anesthetic may be used, although there are extra costs for full general anesthesia.

Good luck.

Keith Denkler, MD
Marin Plastic Surgeon

Smartlipo and anesthesia

+1
sure. Why not. we offer both in our surgicenter. instead of full general anesthesia most surgeons will offer twilight sleep. the other name for this would be intravenous sedation. the only time I suggest true local is for 1 or 2 small areas. most patients will opt for the intravenous sedation as it is so safe and easy.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Anesthesia

+1

I see know reason not to use genera if you wish, However one of the features of smart lipo is that general anesthesia is not needed. The loca injection can be hard for some but is usually quite tolerable

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Smart Laser Liposuction Anesthesia Choices

+1

There are always different anesthesia options and it depends on your needs and the surgeon's comfort.  If you would like the procedure performed under general anesthesia then you should tell your Plastic Surgeon.  As long as you are medically cleared, your surgeon should be able to offer this choice.  You should be prepared to pay an additional fee for the anesthesiologist.  

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS