Want Rhinoplasty But am Scared of Having Tip Refined and Made "Pointy", Can the Tip be Left Alone? (photo)

I have a bulbous tip, but I am afraid of having my tip refined because I don't want it to have that "pinched" look. I do want rhinoplasty to remove the hump; should I leave the tip alone?

Rhinoplasty without nasal tip work

+2

Your tip really doesn't look bad.  You could leave that alone.  It's very possible to remove the bump without making significant changes to the tip.  In fact the tip cartilage doesn't need to be cut at all during the procedure.  I do think your nasal tip is ptotic, or hanging just a bit.  A little rotation of it might be nice.  Best of luck.  Chase Lay, MD

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

What to do with tip

+2

Your tip is not that bad and doesn't require much to give it just a bit more definition. Find a rhinoplasty  surgeon who you think understands you and your concerns. Check out their work. And go for it.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Avoiding Pinched Tip in Rhinioplasty

+1

The best way to avoid a pinched tip when having rhinoplasty surgery is to select an experienced surgeon.  Slight refinement with increased definition of your tip would improve your appearance when you remove the hump. Don't compromise your result to  avoid an unnecessary complication.  

Rhinoplasty without nasal tip alteration

+1

From your photos, I believe it would be possible to perform a rhinoplasty which addresses the dorsal hump, without altering your nasal tip.  I think the result would be asthetically pleasing.  Be certain to discuss your desires and concerns with your surgeon prior to your surgery.  Best of luck.  

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1

It sounds like you want the bridge lowered but are unsure of having tip work because you do not know what it will look like compared to what you have now. No one can make that decision for you and no one should talk you into having any specific procedure performed. Your best option is to get some computer imaging of possible tip surgery results by an honest surgeon and then make that decision for yourself.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Can the tip of my nose be left alone??

+1

Your skin is too thick for tip work to create a really pinched look.  The tip work is to preserve or increase projection and definition slightly.  I agree with Dr. Schuster's recommendation.

Steve Laverson, MD

Tip concerns and patient expectations

+1

I truly feel that it is a rhinoplasty surgeons job to LISTEN to the patient.  If you want the tip left alone, it can be left alone.  It is important to discuss with your surgeon what your expectations are.  In turn your surgeon should advise you what your tip might look like if not addressed or what it might look like just as a function of the surgery.

Find someone who listens, has experience, is willing to answer questions, and is willing to show you pictures.

Good luck!

Raghu Athre

Raghu Athre, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

You can have what you want

+1

A qualified rhinoplastic surgeon can do what you want without giving you a pointy tip. It isn't hard to do.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Personalizing rhinoplasty results

+1

Dear nose101

• It is possible to address the bump on your nose without touching the tip. That is reasonable
  • The most important part of your consult with your surgeon is discussing what is possible and what you are most interested in achieving,

Best Wishes

Travis T. Tollefson, MD, MPH
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Want Rhinoplasty But am Scared of Having Tip Refined and Made "Pointy", Can the Tip be Left Alone?

+1

I understand your concerns after looking at your photos and specifically the view from below looking up at the nostrils.  What you may not know is that the nasal tip has two dimensions aesthetically.  One is the width seen from the previously mentioned base view and the other is from the front view.  From the base view the nasal tip is quite thin and I agrre that it should not be reduced further.  However, from the front view the nasal tip appear full in the supra-tip area and this should be thinned to create the aesthetically pleasing supra-tip break.

These nuances demonstrate the need for your Rhinoplasty Surgeon to understand and follow the proper aesthetics of facial beauty.  IMHO, these aesthetic guidelines are paramount for creating a naturally attractive nose with Rhinoplasty.