I Want Rhinoplasty but I'm Scared the Surgeon Will Make It Too Narrow?

From side view, I don't have a problem with nose, it isn't long and it doesn't have a bump on it but from the front, I have a slightly broad/wide nose and I think if it was slightly smaller it would bring out my other features a lot more. Also when I smile, the tip of my nose spreads out. However, I'm wondering, is it worth it to have rhinoplasty? As I've seen cases where the surgeons have made the nose really narrow and pinched which I don't want at all? I want a very small, subtle change.

Scared rhinoplasty will leave nose too narrow

+1

Communication with your surgeon is very important.  Tell your rhinoplasty surgeon that you do not want the nose narrowed too much.  Look at the surgeon’s work and identify noses similar to yours results you like.  To prevent the tip from drooping upon smiling, release of the depressor septi muscle can be performed and this will stop the tip from spreading outward upon animation.

You need to have a professional consultation and computer imaging

+1

You need to meet up with your surgeon for the in depth consultation. It is important to address your concerns and expectations. Your Dr will be able to tell you if he can meet all your requirements. Many offices offer the computer image simulation for their patients. That way you can see the proposed final result as a goal to achieve for your surgery. As long as the surgeon is honest and can actually deliver the result that he was able to produce on the computer you should be happy with the results. I am positive it will help you to make your final decision

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD

Choosing a rhinoplasty surgeon

+1

If you decide to have a rhinoplasty, you have to be comfortable with the surgeon and feel that he wil lbe able to acomplish what you expect.  The surgeon's responsibility to you is to provide relaistic expectations as well.

+1

In that case find another experienced Rhinoplasty Surgeon who understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial beauty, including the nose.  

Narrow

+1

It sound as though ou have what is calles an infantile nose because it is wide. Tell your surgeon what you want but, realize the nose must be in proportional balance

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Worried About Getting Your Ideal Results

+1

If you are looking for a subtle change, then you need to communicate that to your plastic surgeon. Use digital imaging, before and after photos, pictures from magazines- anything that will help you portray exactly what it is you are looking to achieve.  If you feel that your surgeon may not be able to deliver your ideal results, then you need to ask yourself if your expectations are realistic and/or is this the right surgeon for your Rhinoplasty.

Michael Salzhauer, MD

Rhinoplasty and avoiding the bad result.

+1

Rhinoplasty and avoiding the bad result is possible if you go to a surgeon who listens to you and does what you want and not what he wants. Make sure he does natural noses and meet with his patients.

Rhinoplasty, what will your surgeon do

+1

Years ago individuals could select a surgeon for rhinoplasty based on his 'look', and we are familiar with a day when a surgeon would 'do' noses a particular way. Things today can be much more individualized and the changes right for you can be worked out with computer imaging to give a better understanding of what the goals are. If the surgeon shows you something you don't like, it is easier to change the photo and plan, than revise the result.

peterejohnsonmd.com

Getting small changes with rhinoplasty

+1

If you want small, subtle changes with rhinoplasty you should check our your surgeon's before and after photos to make sure there are examples of that kind of surgery there.

A finesse rhinoplasty is certainly possible. With open communication with your surgeon you should be able to express what changes you want made. Preoperative computer imaging will also allow for a better dialogue.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD