I want to get my lips done. But just my top ones for know is there Ny reason why I shouldn't just do my top lips first?

Proper Lip Injection

+1
All too often a common mistake is to just inject the top lip and not the bottom.  To achieve a natural looking result it is usually best to inject both the top and bottom lips.  If just the top is injected you may end up looking overfilled or unnatural.  For the best cosmetic results please consult a board certified dermatologist with years of experience in facial fillers.

​Proper Nonsurgical Lip Augmentation Requires An Eye To Maintaining Proper Proportions Between Upper & Lower Lips

+1

Unfortunately, all too many inexperienced injectors have created lips, perhaps even at the urging of the patient, that in side view look "duck like" or what has been called the "trout pout" and in front view appear like "sausage" lips. This comes from a lack of awareness of the appropriate and natural proportions of the lips in relation to each other and to the surrounding skin and that any exaggeration of these proportions can give rise to the undesirable results just described. The intent of treatment is not to have a person's lips enter the room before she does. It may be that in this case the upper lip alone can be treated, but such an assessment must be carefully made at the time of consultation taking into account the entire aesthetic unit of the lips and surrounding skin.

For lips to look natural, the upper lip, in side view, should project slightly more than the lower lip, in a ratio of approximately 1.5X more than the outward projection of the lower lip. In front view, the ratio is reversed. In vertical height, the ideal lower lip should be approximately 1.5X that of the upper lip. For the body of the lips, I generally prefer Juvederm UltraPlus XC.

Besides keeping these proportions in mind, treatment with fillers and/or volumizing injectables, must also be directed, when appropriate, to other detractors of the lips if present. These include loss or flattening of the philtrum and Cupid's bow and loss of border definition, "lipstick bleeding" lines (aka "smoker's lines), diminution of the so-called "white roll' that defines the separation between the red lips and the skin above and below the lips. And if the angles of the mouth have become downturned, this, too, must be addressed in order to maximize the benefits of lip rejuvenation. For the philtrum and Cupid's Bow, I have found Restylane L helpful; for smoker's lines, Belotero Balance; for the vermilion border, Juvederm Ultra XC; and for the angles of the mouth Radiesse combined with Perlane L.

From the above, it should go without saying that consultation and treatment by a board certified aesthetic physician with extensive experience in treating the lips is crucial for a gratifying outcome.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Dr. Kimberly Henry

+1

Thank you for your question! In general, the natural appearance of the lips is that the lower lip is fuller than the upper lip. Your decision to make the upper lip fuller is your personal choice, though- so of course you can do this if you wish. If you do not like how it looks afterwards, you can always add more to the lower lip.

Kimberly A. Henry, MD
Greenbrae Plastic Surgeon

Should I just fill my top lip

+1

I like to follow the natural shape of my patient's lips when filling them. On most people, the bottom lip is 2/3 and the top lip is 1/3. This ratio is then followed when injecting. Otherwise, it can change the entire shape of your lips (for the worse) if only one area is filled and leave you looking like a duck. Remember you don't want your top lip to be 10 steps in front of your body. So seek a well-trained physician injector for a consultation and assessment.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

I want to get my lips done. But just my top one for now is there Ny reason why I shouldn’t just do my top lips first?

+1

I would recommend a thorough consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to see what may be best for your aesthetic desires.

Lip Augmenation

+1

You and the surgeon you see should have a discussion about what you want and what is feasible. We often inject just the upper lip. The choice of which filler you get also depends on the amount of augmentation you want. Just remember, if the creator meant you to look like a duck, he would have given you web feet and wings. I have attached a link below.

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Top lip only for filler?

+1

There is nothing stopping you from putting fillers just where you want them . If you have a very full lower lip and thin upper your idea sounds reasonable. However, keep in mind that your lower lip should have more volume than the upper or you will look like a duck.

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist