I Want to Get my Dorsal Hump Removed. Will I Need Refining and Shortening of my Tip As Well? (photo)

Here is a photo of my profile from both sides. They are both different which makes me think my nose is slightly crooked as well. Just wanted to know if any of you could tell by looking at the photos, if I will need shortening and refining in my tip as well? Going in for a consultation soon.

Rhinoplasty

+2

It does appear you need some tip refinement in addition to lowering your bridge.  Without some tip work done, I don't think that it will be imbalance with the remainder of the nose.  By the way, you are an awesome candidate for a rhinoplasty.  You are  already beautiful and the rhinoplasty will make you even more so!

Beautiful Face

+2

Yes!  Your Cosmetic Rhinoplasty should include your dorsal hump and the tip in order to make a beautiful nose to go with your beautiful face.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+2

Your posted photos show oblique deviation of the bridge to your left, a hump on the bridge and some asymmetry of the tip. A good deal of the tip asymmetry should resolve with realignment of the bridge to the center though some additional tip procedures may be warranted. However, the 2 sides of the human body though are not exact mirror images and cannot be made so.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

I Want to Get my Dorsal Hump Removed. Will I Need Refining and Shortening of my Tip As Well?

+2

Hello, in reviewing your posted photos it's clear that you will require a complete rhinoplasty. You would benefit from removing the dorsal hump, straightening and tip work. Based on what I can assess from the photos I would imagine that you have some functional problems as well. It is best that you consult with a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon.

David Alessi, MD

Dorsal Hump Removal and Tip Refinement

+2

Your bridge is asymmetrical or deviated which explains the difference in the 2 profiles. A straight bridge with slight retroce' will make your nose look shorter. I cannot evaluate nasal length because you're smiling in the profile views.The asymmetrical tip should be refined.

+2

As your posted photos demonstrate you need a full rhinoplasty. Best to be seen in person by a boarded surgeon in your city to be examined and shown the possible results for the operation. I realize you star you are seeing one doc but I recommend at least seeing 3. 

Rhinoplasty and dorsal hump removal

+1

When the hump is removed, osteotomies will most likely be needed.  In a crooked nose, osteotomies are needed to straighten the nose and on many occasions a small spreader graft, made from the patient’s own cartilage, is inserted on the concaved side to give symmetry to the nose.  This can also improve breathing through the nose if that is an issue.  The overall projection of the nose will decrease making the nose look less prominent.  The actual tip of the nose may not need to be operated upon at all.  Shortening of the nose will occur through dorsal hump reduction and not through the tip surgery.

+1

Aesthetically, the dorsal hump can be removed and the projection, of the nasal tip, reduced.  It's confusing for patients but the term "tip shortening" refers to the degree of tip rotation up or down.  A downward rotated tip makes the nose appear long while the reverse make the nose appear shorter.  This is different from "tip projection" which is a measure of how far off the face the nasal tip extends.  In your case, the tip is over-projected and should be brought closer to the face when the dorsal hump is removed with Rhinoplasty...IMHO.  

Tip surgery along with hump removal

+1

From your photos it does look like you would benefit from rebalancing the projection of your tip (bring it in closer to your face). Your profile line could then be smoothed to take into account this new tip position. You do also appear to have a deviation of your nose to your left which can also be addressed at the same time.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Rhinoplasty

+1

Rhinoplasty is a complex procedure which involves correction of all aspects of the nose that need to be corrected. An experience rhinoplastic surgeon will address all the different problems encountered before and during surgery.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon