I Want to Get my Breasts Bigger & Was Told I Would Need a Lift with Implants, Is this Necessary? (photo)

I am 5 foot 9, fairly slim build. 34D bra. Slight sagging after having a child.

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
If you are ok with your breasts being bigger but still droopy go for just an augment but if you really want a complete change in the shape of your breast you will need the extra incisions that come with a lift

Breast Augmentation +/- Lift

+1

I would recommend a breast augmentation with a donut or lollipop lift to help you achieve optimal shape and symmetry with your breast augmentation.  Here are my criteria:

Candidates for a Breast Lift (Primary Breast Shape Concern):
1.  Patient is happy with breast size in a bra, but desires improvement in shape.
2.  Nipple position sits at or below the level of the breast crease (inframammary fold)
3.  Significant amount of loose skin and breast tissue, which hangs over the crease leading to a hollow appearance in the upper pole of the breast.

Candidates for Breast Augmentation (Primary Breast Size Concern):
1.  Patient is happy with nipple position and amount of skin in relation to crease.
2.  Desires increase in volume of breast to increase bra cup size and provide more cleavage and fullness to upper and lower pole of breast.

In many cases, patients have concerns of both size and shape, therefore requiring a breast augmentation with a breast lift to achieve desired results.  I hope this helps.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Options in breast lift surgery

+1

If you select the right implant with enough volume and projection you should be able to get some uplift without a breast lift.  The ideal procedure for you would be a breast lift, most likely a vertical type.  If you opt for an augmentation only you always run the risk of  needing a lift in the future if the shape does not turn out the way you expected.   If your nipple pointed down then a lift would definitely be needed.

Breast lift will be necessary

+1

Given your photos, it seems that you would benefit from breast lift as well as augmentation.  Breast implants will give you the increased size; however, they will not change your breast shape.  Based on your photos, you have long chest and long breasts.  Breast lift should give you a perkier, more youthful look to your shape.  Good luck.

Sugene Kim, MD, FACS

Breast lift and implants

+1

Although it is hard to actually give a perfect answer just from pictures. It does seem that you would benefit from a breast lift with implants to get the best results. Most probably a circumvertical (lollipop) lift would give the best and long lasting result.

Go see at least two board certified plastic surgeon.

Good luck

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift Needed?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

It is very difficult to give you good advice without direct examination and a sterile discussion of your goals. I can see why you ask the question however; your breasts appear to be in a “borderline” position. I agree with your assessment that there has been “slight sagging”; whether breast lifting is necessary or not will  depend heavily on close-up physical examination and a discussion of your goals in front of a full-length mirror.

I would suggest in-person consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

When is a breast lift needed?

+1

a breast lift would help:

1. you will get a better shape
  2. avoid having larger  breasts that still look liked they are sagging
  3. slow down the process of sagging more
  4. you will sag sooner with larger heavier breasts

Is a breast lift necessary with my implants? (photo)

+1

Although you never "need" a breast lift, judging from your submitted front and side views, to achieve the best breast shape and keep the nipple areola complex in its most aesthetic position on your breast mound, YES, a mastopexy (breast lift) is probably indicated along with your augmentation.  The reason is geometric:  Your nipple is now about at the level of your inframammary crease.  Your breasts (and inframammary crease) already appear slightly low (glandular ptosis) on your body.  The bottom of your round implant must be at or just above your existing crease.  The implant itself must be about as wide as your breast.  At 5'9", your breast width must be around 14cm.  This means the center of your implant will be about 7 cm above the inframammary crease.  Unless your nipple areola complex is lifted, it will end up below the center of the implant.  Also, your skin envelope appears loose, and a breast lift will tighten this a bit. 

True, adding breast lift to augmentation increases complexity of the procedure, recovery involved, and adds visible scar(s) and potential complications.  For this reason, most plastic surgeons avoid the combination of augmentation and mastopexy unless we believe addition of breast lift is the only way to achieve a result the augmented patient will be pleased with.

Steve Laverson, MD