I Want my Brazilian Butt Lift to Last for at Least Ten Years. What is This Dependent On?

Besides keeping my weight stable and living a healthy lifestyle, how does a succesful brazilian butt lift depend on the skill of the surgeon? Are there different methods for performing this procedure that I am unaware of, that gives long lasting results as opposed to short term results? I would like to know this in order to choose a surgeon who can provide me with the results I want.

How do you get your Brazilian Butt Lift Results to Last 10 Years?

+1

Choose the right surgeon and follow their instructions to the "T"

Getting your Brazilian Butt Lift to last 10 years is dependant on your ability to get your results to last beyond the first few months.  If you understand the basics, you'll understand why.  First of all you need to understand that most of us don't make new fat cells, and they don't go away.  They increase in size with weight gain and shrink with weight loss.  What we do in the BBL is remove them from where you don't want them and transfer them (Graft them) into your buttocks.  As long as the surgeon has a good technique to perform this surgery, giving you all live fat cells, then it is up to you to keep them alive.  There are many different recommendations as to what to do or not to do, but if your surgeon of choice has good "long term" results, follow what they tell you.   Long term meaning photos showing patients at least 2-3 months post op.  Anyone can show pictures of patients at a few weeks with what appears to he GREAT results because they are still swollen.  The swelling will be mostly gone by about 2-3 months and so will the buttocks of some patients in those pictures, because it may have been just swelling.  So, if the photos don't tell you low long after surgery, or if the patient is still bruised or has marks from the compression garments, they are probably still swollen.
If you see great results at 3 months or more, then it should remain that way for years if not permanently.

Fat Survival After Brazilian Butt Lift

+1

The skill of your surgeon and exact techniques in injection and fat treatment during your surgery will determine your outcomes. Technique and artistry are very CRITICAL in this surgery otherwise you have wasted the fat and your best opportunity to shape you best long-term. Survival of ten years or even longer should not be a problem and depends on your results at the 6 month to one year point. Whatever fat you have at that time in the buttock tissue has taken as a graft and will grow if you gain weight and some will go away if you lose weight, just like the rest of your body fat.  The key is to not lose weight and to undergo a customized post op exercise routine. I provide this to all my patients. The video link below should help you further in answering your question!.

Good luck

Dr Ghavami from Bevelry Hills, CA

Ashkan Ghavami, MD

Safety and Outcome of your Brazilian Butt Lift Depend on your Surgeon

+1

Hi there-

Your safety, and the long term outcome of your Brazilian Butt Lift are HIGHLY dependent on who you choose to do it...

The simple fact is that there are many surgeons offering this procedure, and completion of the steps in the operation is not complicated- but maintaining a high level of safety and reliably achieving beautiful outcomes is another story entirely. 

It is therefore imperative for you to very carefully review ALL of the following before allowing someone to perform this procedure on you:

1. The surgeon's education (there's a reason we all fight to get into the best medical schools)
  2. The surgeon's training
  3. The surgeon's credentials- is he Certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery?
  4. The surgeon's experience- especially in this particular procedure. Don't take their word for it ("I do lots of those procedures")- ask to talk to other patients and look at LOTS of photos
  5. The surgeon's skill and talent int he performance of this procedure- as I often say to patients, the reality is that even surgeons with the best educations may not achieve beautiful outcomes reliably- this requires an eye for beauty and some talent in the tailoring of procedures to individual patient's needs. How do you judge this?-- by looking at a LOT of photos with a discriminating eye, and talking to a lot of patients

Realize the following:

• For photos of outcomes to be credible and truly impressive, they should show the outcome after a suitable period of time has passed. There are surgeons on this site who's "after" photos are labeled as having been taken months after surgery- but a close inspection shows bruising and the presence of operating room instruments!  Similarly, be sure you are able to see more than just one or two examples of pleasing outcomes before you allow yourself to believe in a surgeon's skills.
  • Similarly, many patients are pleased with the outcome after a week or two (and often express their satisfaction at this early stage)- but it is the patients who are happy (or not) after more time has passed that you should pay more attention to.
  • Some patients unfortunately have unrealistic expectations for the procedure. With this procedure more than others, it is unfortunately true that some patients believe that ridiculously large butts are possible- they are not. Be realistic in your goals.

Choose the best, most talented, most ethical surgeon, be realistic in your goals, and follow all instructions carefully, and you should be able to enjoy a lovely outcome over the long term.

Armando Soto, MD

Brazilian butt lift and fat survival

+1

The Brazilian butt lift is a liposuction and fat injection. What you're doing is changing fat storage locations. You're taking way fat from the abdomen back and flank where you don't want and you're putting it in the buttocks were you do want it.

When you do this procedure the fat is a graft just like a skin graft. The fat will live or die by blood supply just like a skin graft survives by gaining new blood supply. When you do the fat injection technique of injection has an important role in what percentage of that survives. This fat will live or die in the 1st 5 to 10 days once the fat has a new blood supply it will live like you need other fat cell in the body. In my patients I see the buttocks decreasing size for the 1st 2 to 3 weeks and then after that the size remains. Now this injected fat will act just like that in other parts of the body if you gain weight and get bigger and if you lose weight it will get smaller. But after the fat injection to the buttocks the buttocks becomes the place where you will gain weight 1st and lose weight last.

Wendell Perry, MD