I Want to Get This Mole Removed. Best Way and Chances of Scarring?

I have a mole on right of my upper lip and it's a raised and dark brown. It is a bit smaller than the eraser end of a pencil. I just want to know what's the best way to remove this and what are my chances of scarring? Please and thanks!

Mole removal

+1

I would highly recommend that you see a board certified facial plastic surgeon for an evaluation and possible treatment.

Mole removal for an eraser sized mole

+1

This is likely 5mm or larger. This is the point where I decide to excise the mole. Smaller than this I would consider laser more than excision. I would avoid shave removal and cryotherapy / liquid nitrogen removal.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Best way to remove a raised mole on the lip

+1

Depending on their size and location, facial moles including moles on the lips can be easily removed by one of two methods. One is a "shave excision" where the mole is actually "shaved off" at a level just below the surface of the skin. The other is an excision with suture closure which uses both dissolving and non-dissolving sutures to give the best cosmetic result. Dermatologic surgeons, not plastic surgeons, typically do both procedures expertly and can decide which would be best for your particular mole. All methods of surgery will leave a scar but the trick is to minimize the scar using the proper technique. Most commonly I will remove a raised mole such as yours on the lip by suturing as this will leave a linear scar which can be imperceptible when it is properly oriented. 

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon