I Want a Better Jawline. Will Chin Implant and Masseter Workouts Help?

I need the chin implant due to my receded chin. But I also want a thicker masseter area. How do I achieve this? I heard clenching helps but what else helps? I am currently underweight (6'3 160) will gaining some mass actually help with this?

Chin Implant Yes, Masseter Muscle Excercise No

+1

A chin implant would likely make a big difference for you. Unfortunately, you are doing Masseter Muscle excercises every time you eat, so more excercises will not make much of a difference. An extended implant would not only add projection to the chin but would augment a good portion of the jaw.

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant for receding chin

+1

A chin implant would certainly help with jawline definition for someone who is quite tall at 6 foot 3 and has a receding chin line. The chin implant can be placed under a local anesthetic, where a small incision is made in the submental area and the implant is placed directly over the bone. Chin implants come in a variety of sizes and shapes which is best determined at the time of the consultation and examination. Please see  our photo gallery below for examples of what can be accomplished with a chin implant. Gaining weight would also help the  improve your facial features, but masseter exercises will do nothing but put too much stress on your temporo-mandibular joint.

Chin and Jaw Angle Implants for Better Jawline

+1

To achieve greater chin and jaw angle definition you are going to need implant augmentation of all three areas. Exercise is not going to increase the size or definition of the masseter muscle (jaw angle) area, only jaw angle implants can do so.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

+1

A chin implant can assist in this goal.  Masseteric hypertrophy occurs only to a minimal extent no matter the extent of muscularity of the individual or the amount of exercise.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

More defined jaw and chin

+1

Thank you for your interesting question.  I would echo the comment by Dr. Kulbersh about masseter exercises.  Theoretically, exercises may help and there are plenty of papers on the opposite (botox to atrophy the masseter for patients with overly developed masseters), but the loading of this much force on a regular basis onto the TMJ may result in joint injury and/or degeneration.  An alternative to these exercises would be to have mandibular angle and or body implants placed at the same time as your chin implant.  This may give you the look you want without the same risks.  These are usually placed through intraoral incisions alone.  I would consult a cosmetic surgeon who is experienced with facial skeletal reshaping who can give you more advice after an assessment of your individual anatomy.

Sirius K. Yoo, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

I Have Not Heard Of Masseter Exercises

+1

I have not heard of success of masseter exercises improving the jawline.  In my opinion, to build of the size of the masseters secondary to exercises, would take a long time and could be dangerous.  To exercise the muscles to the extent to make them larger would require a lot of force.  I believe this could cause problems with your jaw joint, the TMJ.  I am certainly not an expert on this subject, but that is my 2 cents.

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon