I Want Implants, but Have a Large Chest Piece Tattoo Will Implants Distort, Stretch or Ruin my Tattoo?

I am 5'3, 110lbs, I have an A cup and desire a D cup. I have a large chest piece tattoo that sits below the collar bone, stretches out to the shoulders, the very base sits on my sternum, the tattoo covers part of my upper breasts but is about an inch away from the nipples. I really want implants but if the implants will distort stretch or ruin the look of my tattoo, I would much rather just leave them be. Please help. :-) thank you.

Breast Augmentation - I Want Implants, but Have a Large Chest Piece Tattoo Will Implants Distort, Stretch or Ruin my Tattoo?

+1

Yes, they will.

In general, breast enlargement (or augmentation) will stretch all of the tissue that covers the implant.  That includes the areola and the surrounding the skin.  Any skin that is over the location where the implant will be, will correspondingly be made larger.  If that is not acceptable to you, then having implants may not be the right choice for you.

That being said, if you already have a chest piece that extends from your shoulder to your sternum to within an inch of your nipples, you may like the added contour of the implant.  That, of course, is part of what you'll need to talk about with your plastic surgeon.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

+1

I have found that a very well done and proportionate Breast Augmentation will make almost any chest tattoo look better!!! While there's always a chance, it shouldn't be so distorting so as to ruin the tattoo...

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants and Tattoos

+1

Breast implants are more likely to expand and stretch the skin of the lower part of the breast.  So women with tattoos that cover the whole breast are more likely to see distortions in the lower half below the nipple.  Tattoos that are located above the nipple, which are more common, usually experience less distortion with breast augmentation.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants and chest tattoos?

+1

Without a photo I can't be sure but your tattoo sounds pretty big and the implants to go to a D would be big too and not natural looking at all so I would guess that they will distort the tattoo.  Make an in person consultation to be sure though.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation and tattoos

+1

We are certainly seeing more and more young adults with tattoos and this situation does come up from time to time.  I have never noticed much a distortion problem related to breast augmentation and tattoos.  An evaluation by a plastic surgeon would give you a better idea of what to expect.  

Tattoo and Breast Augment

+1

It might cause a problem, or maybe not. I don't think I could give you a good answer with at the very least a good quality photo ar even better an exam. Bigger implants will have more risk of stretching the skin. Get a consult and you'll have your answer.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Impalnts and tattoo

+1

Implants will stretch the skin and may distort your tattoo a bit. It is hard to predict,b ut I doubt it will stretch it too much.

Breast Implants and Chest Tattoo

+1

There will be some effect of the implants on the tattoo, but it may not necessarily distort it. It can make the appearance more prominent. However, there is no way in which you can predict how this will progress. I do have two patients who have had a similar issue and without any distortion except for the fact that the lower aspect of the tattoo is now on the upper aspect of the implant.

See my website (link below - case 14) for an example and you can email my office at info@marinaesthetics.com for another example not posted.

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Tattoo and Breast Augmentation?

+1

Based on your description,  the tattoo will undoubtedly be stretched as the skin is stretched after breast augmentation surgery.  Obviously, the larger the breast implant the more potential for distortion. Whether this stretching will “distort"  the tattoo significantly is hard to know without physical examination.

You may benefit from direct examination and in person consultation.

Breast implants and Chest Tattoo

+1

Thank you for your question.  Having a picture to see would be very helpful.  The fact that the tattoo is mainly above the breast is good, but keep in mind that breast implants do enlarge the breast and also the breast skin.

It probably would make sense to you that small implants will stretch the skin a little and larger implants will stretch the skin more.

See at least two plastic surgeons in your area to see what they think.  I have done many breast augmentations in women with tattoos on and/or around the chest area and it hasn't been an issue.  I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS