I Want to Know if Ethnic Tip Rhinoplasty Will Be a Problem with Martial Arts?

The only thing I want is a smaller tip and nostril. I do martial arts and want to know if I get hit or fall after a year, will it be seriously damage? I know getting hit or falling will cause some damage but will it be worse after getting this procedure done? Will I need to wear a protection mask?

Rhinoplasty surgery and martial arts

+1

Dear Ceyln,

1. The nose will heal to almost full strength even when the healing is complete
  2. If you do damage your nose with a hit, then you should see your surgeon right away who may be able to fix the problem without surgery

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Rhinoplasty and martial arts

+1

The  nasal cartilage and bones can become fractured/ broken either before or after the  rhinoplasty. Its best where a face mask if possible to prevent a fracture after a rhinoplasty procedure.

+1

Your tip can be refined, and the nostrils made smaller.  The risk of damaging the nose after healing is complete is similar to preop risk.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Rhinoplasty and martial arts

+1

You can do martial arts once you are healed.  You can damage your nose if it is hit hard enough no matter how long you wait.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Protecting the nose after a rhinoplasty

+1

By one year after your rhinoplasty you should have not problem returning to vigorous activities.  There should be little risk of injury to your nose at this point.  

Nasal Tip Trauma One Year Post Op

+1

Trauma to the tip one year after nasal surgery will not be more risky than is was before the operation. I always recommend that patients like you wear a mask if there is a risk of facial trauma. I have declined to do rhinoplasties on professional boxers who wanted to continue fighting.

Rhinoplasty problems with martial arts

+1

Any contact sport is a risk when it comes to rhinoplasty and your inventment in you appearance. Tip shaping alone might be less of a problem, but the face protection would be the best idea.

Rhinoplasty and contact sports

+1

Soft tissue work (tip only) is much less of an issue than extensive bridge, osteotomies, middle vault work etc. Nevertheless, you are taking some risk exposing your (expensive) new nose to trauma and only you can make that decision. For my patients it has been worth it, and they take a few extra precautions!

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and martial arts

+1

The general guideline my patients follow is to avoid any contact sports where there is risk of hitting the nose for at least 6 months after surgery. Even after that time period, it is important to be careful, as you do not want to undo the work performed by your surgeon. A face mask would be a good idea whether or not you had surgery, as it can protect your face and nose from any contact. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Rhinoplasty and Martial Arts

+1

Wearing a protection mask is always a wise when involved in martial arts regardless of rhinoplasty surgery.  Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon regarding his post op recommendations.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD