I Want Epicanthoplasty. Can I Get the Skin Squeezed to Eliminate the Folds? (photo)

I am half asian and have regular half caucasion half asianish eyelids but they have epicanthic folds. They look okayish when I look in the mirror but when I take a picture I look absolutely horrible 90% of the time. I noticed when I squeeze the skin on my lower forehead just about my nose in between my eyes they disappear and I look alot better. Is there any type of surgery where they can just squeeze the skin to eliminate the folds and stitch it up?

Epicanthal fold Surgery

+1

Your eyelid contour is good.  Epicanthoplasty would must likely produce a result that you may not like.

Dr. ES

Surgery to Reduce Epicanthic Folds on Asian Eyes

+1

There are several procedures which are designed to reduce epicentral folds. In younger people, I'm particularly concerned about the healing and the long term scarring after epicanthic fold surgery. This factor is important to consider before making the decision to do this type of Asian eyelid surgery. Asian eyes require delicate finesse with the typical epicanthal fold that lies in front of the eye so that proper rejuvenation does not mar the natural beauty of this type of eye.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Epicanthoplasty and Scarring

+1

What you are decribing is the effect of an epicanthoplasty. What it can effectively achieve your goals, it will also leave a scar. It is impossible to predict in Asian skin types how well that scar will do. For many it is just fine but for others it may be an unacceptable trade-off.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Epicanthal Folds

+1

There are several ways to perform the procedure known as epicanthoplasty, and they all leave scars.  Medial canthal ablation requires various skin flaps with rearrangement of the skin and soft tissues.  Think twice about the scars!

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

I Want Epicanthoplasty. Can I Get the Skin Squeezed to Eliminate the Folds?

+1

Sadly, no.  There is no procedure that can eliminate the epicanthal folds.  I'd concentrate on making the face as angular and masculine as possible in order to make the folds an non issue aesthetically.  

Epicanthoplasty

+1

Morning,

To answer your question about that specific maneuver. . .not really.  Often times when the nasal bridge is augmented or and implant is added you get an affect similar to what you describe but it tends to be temporary.   The best long term result for your requires an epicanthoplasty which is done in several different ways depending on the person's anatomy.  Essentially you will take 7 to 21 days to heal to a point that the incisions are not noticeable.  Everyone is different.  This can be performed under local anesthesia.  I'll gently caution you, however, this procedure (while low) has a higher rate of scaring than other eyelid procedures and is tough to revise.  You may be able to have it performed with sutures only.  See this video that shows a before and after for just such a case but only on one side.

Best of luck

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

The skin is no squeezed. It is resected.

+1

Technically epicanthoplasty is straight forward.  What is uncertain is if the necessarily visible scar that is created will be acceptable to you.  While many people heal with a very acceptable scar, many do not.   Will you be happy if in exchange for a reduction in the epicanthal fold you end up with visible medial canthal scaring?  If the answer is no, I suggest that you don't have this surgery.