I Want a Complete Mommy Makeover but I've Got Another 30 Lbs to Loose. Is It Too Soon to Get a Consultation?

I'm 5'9. At my heaviest after my second child I was 220. I'm 185' I was 165 before I had kids but even that was a little heavier than I normally was. I just want something to look forward to -I try not to look at the extra skin around my stomach... i want to have a bigger goal than THIS current version of myself. But if the doctor can't tell exactly what I would need when the extra weight is gone, it would be a waste of time. I think I'll need a breast lift, and full tummy tuck.

Weight Loss and Timing of Tummy Tuck Surgery

+2

A consultation with the plastic surgeon can be motivating to create a weight loss plan and timeline for weight loss since you will have a definative goal in mind, so go ahead and get a consultation.

Many of my patients want a weight reduction program they can do at home in a healthy fashion that has a good chance of maintaining their weight long term.  I suggest you consider The Zone Diet.  The book you need to read is Entering the Zone, from Dr. Barry Sears.  This Diet is one where you eat 5 times a day; protein, complex carbohydrate, and some fat for good health, in every meal.  You do some calculations at the back of the book after taking some body measurements and figure out your portion size for  each of the food groups. You will need a food scale. The diet gives 3 lists of food to choose from: the most favorable, the medium, and the unfavorable.  Pick mostly from the first, a little from the second, and minimally from the third. (The protein requirements are on page 90 for your calculations).  Be sure to read the book or you won't be successful with the diet.  You can lose about 1.5 to 2 pounds a week and keep it off. 

Get the body you will love!  Go girl!

Worcester Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss and a mommy makeover

+2

As you already know, the best results after body contouring surgery are achieved when you are at your goal weight.  However, a goal weight is not always a realistic weight.  Most importantly, you should be at a stable weight for a few months before surgery.  It is definitely not too early to meet with a plastic surgeon, and I would encourage you to consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon -- he or she could discuss your goals and what is realistic in terms of surgical outcomes for the procedures you desire.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Waiting for weight loss

+2

The reality is that people always want to lose more weight than they actually do.  So I ask my patients if that goal is realistic.  If pts have over 50 lbs to lose then I think we should wait to do the surgery. If it is closer to 20-30 lbs then I think it is reasonable to do the surgery.  But of course a steady, stable weight is best.  It is a good idea to meet with your plastic surgeon and make a reasonable goal and plan in advance. 

Elisa A. Burgess, MD

Timing of Consults and Surgery During Weight Loss

+2

In general, it is best to wait to undergo body contouring surgery until you are near a stable and sustainable weight. That being said, I believe that it is very valuable to meet with your surgeon as you get closer to being planning. This will also allow you to meet with several Board Certified Plastic Surgeons unrushed. Congrats on your weight loss and best of luck in your upcoming surgery.

Lawrence Iteld, MD

Mommy Makeover and weight loss

+1

It is never to early to start meeting with plastic surgeons to talk about a mommy makeover, however you should not undergo this procedure unless:

1. You are finished with child bearing (really finished!)
  2. Your weight is stable for at least 6 months
  3. You have a 2 week block of time to recover
  4. You have a reliable adult to assist you for the first 48 hours after surgery
  5. You are willing to trade the new look for long scars (albeit hidden scars)

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss and consult timing

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss.   If you think you've got 30 more pounds to lose, my suggestion would be to schedule your consult once you are within 5-10 pounds of your goal weight.   Best wishes!
Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Now is the Right Time!

+1

if you are planning to lose 30 pounds and then have a mommy makeover then consultation with a plastic surgeon may be just the right thing to kick start your lifestyle change. Using computer animated renditions of your photographs a before and after of what you should look like after the surgery can be very motivating.. I often find that when I do the abdominal musculature (diastasis repair) in the tummy tuck especially high up on the abdomen, it and cause and early satiety ( you fill up faster) and you often lose 5 to 10 more pounds in the first two months after surgery. I think is important to undergo a lifestyle change not just a diet since you will need to keep this up to maintain your new shape long term. Good luck in your life-changing endeavors!

Manuel M. Pena, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

It's never too early for consultation

+1

For me personally, I never tell people it is too early for consultation.  It may be early to create a definitive plan, and your body may still change with further weight loss, but at least I can meet people, get to know them and their goals, and generally build a rapport.  Often we will schedule to meet every 8 weeks or so just to check in until their weight loss or other preop goals are met.  This gives us ample opportunity to answer questions, provide educational information, and make arrangements for things like child care and support.  We can keep the discussion about surgical plan general until it comes time to start making definite plans once your body is stable.  I also find that this is a great incentive for people, and it helps them keep on track if they know that the goal of "completing the project" is a reality. Good luck.

Joseph L. Grzeskiewicz, MD

When is it the best time to consult about Mommy Makeover

+1

I don't think it's unreasonable to start Mommy Makeover consultations with 30lbs left to lose.  I wouldn't want my patients to have surgery until they are as close to their realistic goal weight as possible and that their weight is steady.  If you lose a large amount of weight just for surgery but can't maintain it because it's not a realistic weight for your body, then surgery will not be as successful as it could be.  It's best to be at a steady healthy weight when you are ready for your Mommy Makeover procedure.  ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Timing for Consultation for Mommy Makeover (Weight Concerns)?

+1

Seeking consultation now would be okay but if you would not be happy without the most specific advice, it may be better for you to seek consultation when you have achieved a long-term stable weight. When I see patients in your situation, I can provide recommendations but I let them know that these recommendations may change once they have achieved a long-term stable weight.

Considering that you are contemplating major surgery,a few words of advice may be helpful:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

Best wishes with your ongoing weight loss  and up coming procedures.