Really Want Chin Augmentation/chin Implants. Where Do I Start? (photo)

I'm 16 years old, and live in the nyc area. I'm interested in getting this procedure, but I have so many doubts, and I'm unsure if it's even worth it; especially after reading the risks of everything (implants moving, becoming infected, cutting a nerve, smile getting messed up, it comes out uneven, the thousands of dollars). I edited a before and after picture of an idea of how I'd want it below. What will a consultation be like, can they show me how I'd look, or an idea? How many would I need?

Chin Implants

+2

A wide variety of facial implants are currently available for the enhancement of the skeletal elements of facial aesthetics. The most commonly used facial implants are used to enhance the profile of the chin and the cheeks. Facial implants very widely not only in shape and style, but also in terms of the materials from which they are fabricated.

My preference is to use structural fat grafting, as much as possible, to enhance facial features. In many cases, the need for a solid implant can be eliminated by the careful and meticulous grafting of a patient's own fat. While the incidence of complications with facial implants is not high, certain problems may develop which require implant removal including infection and implant migration. Bone resorption (bone loss) has also been reported below solid facial implants. Neither of these problems are an issue with structural fat grafting.

The only setting in which I currently use a solid facial implant is for chin implant augmentation. Some patients with a 'weak' chin profile can be adequately improved by structural fat grafting alone. However, when the chin protrusion needs to be enhanced by a half centimeter or more, a chin implant is absolutely required. I prefer to use a soft, flexible, anatomic chin implant that conservatively enhances the anterior projection of the chin in profile. The chin implant is placed through an incision hidden underneath the chin, an area where many people already have a scar from a fall in childhood.

Moderate enhancement of chin projection in appropriate patients can dramatically enhance the profile, in a manner that is completely natural-appearing. It is remarkable how increasing chin prominence in some patients will reduce the apparent prominence of the nose, and restore an overall sense of harmony and balance to facial features.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant Concerns

+1

Chin implant surgery, though having risks of infection, malposition, nerve damage, and bone erosion, is a surgery with high patient satisfaction and a low percentage of complications.  This procedure is performed in 15 to 30 minutes and it has little downtime

Chin iimplant

+1

Dear belvitab95,

During your consultation visit I would review with you several options: chin implant vs genioplasty (bony cut into chin and advancement). The concerns you have about nerve injury, is not a motor nerve its a sensory nerve that gives you sensation of your chin and lip region. It doesn't control your your smile.  The newer chin implants are more anatomically designed and with fixation with small titanium screws the chance of the implant moving is almost null. Infection rates have significantly been decreased due to screw fixation of implant.  There many different sizes of the implant. The appropriate size implant would be discussed at your consultation. Furthermore, the chin is only one aspect of your face. A full exam of your facial skeleton and the relationship of your upper and lower jaws and your occlusion (how your teeth interdigitate) must be evaluated.  This will also required specific x-rays and possible CT scans of your facial bones.  The chin implant is a fairly quick procedure done under a twilight sedation anesthetic. Its an outpatient procedure that can be performed in the office or an outpatient surgicenter If you have any questions or would like to discuss in person my office is located in NJ. Best of luck

Manolis Manolakakis, DMD
Middletown Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Chin augmentation

+1

Dear belvitab95,

• A chin augmentation is generally a very safe procedure with minimal complications
  • Patients are generally very satisfied with their results
  • A consultation entails talking to you about what you want and why, what we can do for you, what surgery and recovery will be like, followed by risks and benefits
  • You should go to as many consultations as you need until you find the right doctor that you mesh well with
  • If NJ is close enough, try the Glasgold Group, they are great surgeons

Best regards,
Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD