I Want to Know if I Need a Breast Lift? (photo)

I am in my 20's never had kids or anything, just never wore a bra growing up. I am wondering, if I need a breast lift? I was looking into breast augmentation and I was thinking I may only afford the augmentation and not breast lift, so if I get the breast augmentation, will it look bad, without the lift. Thanks, Jen

Breast Lift?

+1

Getting implants alone without a lift will probably not result in an attractive outcome.However, a lift alone will give you more attractive breasts by reshaping and repositioning the nipples and areolas. There is certainly enough breast volume to get a nice shape.

Best bet is an in person consultation.RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes.

Needing a breast lift

+1

The way to understand issues of whether an augmentation or a lift (or both) is needed, it's important to understand what an implant does and doesn't do and what a lift does and doesn't do. 

A breast implant only provides pillow volume behind the base of the breast. It does not lift the breast but merely fills it out where it is. In your case it appears you have adequate volume but it's a bit low and off to the side even though still feasible. 

A breast lift is for raising the breast position, resizing or repositioning the nipple-areola, and adjusting the shape of the breast. It does not provide volume, tighten, or fill areas out. 

Depending on your goals and expectations, I would think a properly done lift (mastopexy) would reposition and reshape the breast to look better at the same volume with the trade-off of the lollipop incisional scars.

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift?

+1

While the photo may suggest that a lift would be recommended either now or in the future, the answer to your question is dependent on your objectives, lifestyle, and desire to have children in the future. To answer these questions and to understand your options, the best suggestion is to consult with 3 - 4 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Breast Lift Needed?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Based on the position of your breasts on the chest wall and  general shape of your breasts, I do not think that breast augmentation alone will be sufficient. There are many options available depending on what your goals are. You will be best off meeting with well experienced board certified plastic surgeons to discuss your goals, surgical options available, and the pros/cons of each option. One option of course is to do nothing at this time...

Bennelli Lift with Implants for Tuberous shape

+1

Hi--

As another doctor on this thread noted, you do appear to have tuberous shaped breasts. Likewise,  the areola complex is at a low position relative to the inframammary fold. This is not to say that you want to change the shape of your breasts. However,  if you want an augmentation,  a breast implant will help to widen the base of the breast.  For the lift, a Benelli  mastopexy lift, which is an incision just around the areola, will help to lift the areolar complex. With this technique you will have the least amount of scarring.

Please see my blog below about breast lifting techniques. The video is that of a crescent lift mastopexy, which is a version of the Benelli technique for small breasts. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

Breast Lift timing is all important.

+1

Jen,

You are young and if child bearing is not in your near future plans, I would suggest that you consider a lift, without implants, to improve the shape of your breasts. You may be pleasantly surprised by the fullness and shape improvement,

I strongly suspect that a breast augmentation, alone, for you, would result in longer (more ptotic) breasts. You may end up with larger and lower breasts, not to your liking. Surprisingly, some women do not object to this compromise, in order to avoid mastopexy (breast lift) scars.

Discuss the options for your care with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon, or two, before you jump at surgical care.

Best Regards,

Douglas J. Raskin, MD, DMD
Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation with or without a lift

+1
Dear Jen, From the picture it looks like you have a slight asymmetry and I understand it is hard to accept scarring but your goal should be a good long lasting shape to your breasts. The advice I can give you is limited but please see a Board certified Plastic Surgeon who can perform an in depth consultation and help you achieve your goals. Best of luck!

Dana Khuthaila, MD, FACS

Breast lift

+1

The answer really depends on your objective.  If you just want larger breasts and you do not mind the current position of your breasts then all you need is an augmentation.  If you desire your breasts to be "perkier" with more fullness on the top then you would need an augmentation with a lift. 

Milind K. Ambe, MD

Breast augmentation without lift (when I might need one)

+1

Thanks for your great question and picture.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and looking good in clothes does not mean you look good naked.  If I were your surgeon I would want you to have a lift to improve the shape or breasts and create a better "marriage" of your own tissues and the implant.  That being said, I know from experience with patients whose breasts look like yours, that they have seen other surgeons who would be comfortable performing your surgery without a lift--BUT--those surgeons have always told the patient to have a lower expectation of shape and position in the final result.  Please make sure you are seeing a board certified plastic surgeon when devising your opinion.  Good luck.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Lift of breasts?

+1

While your breasts have significant volume you definitely have some sag, and if you want them perkier a lift would probably be necessary.