I Want a Breast Augmentation but I'm So Scared, How High is the Risk That Something Goes Wrong?

I'm 30 years old, Mom of 2 kids and I want new boobs, but I'm scared about it, I know a girl from high school who dies years ago because something went wrong, how high is the risk that something goes wrong???

Breast Augmentation & Risk

+1

Every surgery comes with risk but there are some factors to consider when thinking about safety.

1. Your doctor should be board-certified. The most prestigious certification comes from the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS), the official national examining board for professional plastic surgeons, whose members are qualified to perform reconstructive and plastic surgery, as well as aesthetic or cosmetic surger
  2. The anesthesiologist- any surgical procedure will require an anesthesiologist (an anesthesiologist is an M.D., whereas an anesthetist is not). Make sure that he or she is certified by the American Board of Anesthesiology (ABA).
  3. The procedure should take place in an accredited facility.

Risks

+1

The risks of breast augmentation surgery are small  when performed by an experienced and qualified surgeon.  The risk of anesthesia is very low as well.  The satisfaction rate is extremely high with the procedure. Every patient is scared about undergoing surgery  so you are not alone.  Once you get over the jitters, I'm sure everything will go quite smoothly.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Breast surgery and risk

+1

Breast surgery and for that matter any surgery comes with some risks.  You should talk to your prospective doctor about your concerns to hopefully ease your concerns.

Risk and Breast Augmentation

+1

When it comes to risk and ANY surgery, there are many factors involved. The first thing is to find a reputable Board Certified Plastic and Reconstructive surgeon.  In addition, make sure that the facility where the surgery with be performed has the proper credentials, as well as using  a group of anesthesiologists with board certification as well.  Always do your homework when you are having surgery for the first time.  Ask your family if anyone has had any problems with anesthesia. Find out those details.  And pass that information on to your surgeon.  All in all, Breast Augmentation is a very safe procedure.                                                                                                                             

James E. Murphy, MD, FACS
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Safety and Plastic Surgery

+1

To ensure your safety it is best to seek out a board certified plastic surgeon.  Once that criteria has been met then ask about his/her experience concerning the procedure you desire and make sure that the operation is performed at an accredited facility.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

+1

Risk stratification depends on your health prior to surgery. If you are a healthy patient with no medical problems your risk should be low and breast augmentation should be a very safe operation for you to have. I would do diligent research prior to selecting a surgeon, and make sure you select a board certified plastic surgeon who has the extensive training required to complete this procedure in a safe manner. Most of us use a local accredited facility to perform cosmetic surgery and we also use board certified Anesthesiologists. Your surgeon should be able to put you more at ease after your consultation and you will see that this can be a very safe operation. All surgery does carry some risk and so it is important for you to do your homework.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Safety of breast augmentation

+1

Generally speaking, breast augmentation is a very safe procedure with a low risk of complications.  That being said, no surgery is risk free.  Some factors that increase risk are obesity, smoking, age, and other health issues.  I would recommend a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who can review your health history with you, as well as perform an examination which will allow him/her to better assess your risk profile. Good luck!

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Risk of problems with breast augmentation

+1

Risks of complications increase with patient age, poor patient health, long procedures or multiple procedures in overweight patients, smoking history.  If you are in in good shape and having a short procedure, your risks are small in the hands of a well trained and experienced surgeon.  But remember that minor surgery is surgery done to someone else...anything done to you is major.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Safety

+1

Breast augmentation is a very safe procedure.  But it is still surgery and all surgeries carry some risk, although very low.  As long as you are healthy, you should do very well.  Please visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options. Best of luck.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Complications Associated with Breast Augmentation?

+1

Although the risk of serious complications after breast augmentation performed by appropriately certified/experienced board-certified plastic surgeons in fully accredited  facilities is very small, you are wise to educate yourself about  all the potential risks/complications associated with this operation.  Doing so will allow you to make a well-informed decision about the pros/cons of the procedure and whether you wish to proceed…

You may find the attached link helpful as you educate yourself.