I Want to Have a Baby Next Year but I Want Smart Lipo This Year. Should I Wait Til After?

Since I was in the 9th grade I have had a belly. Im now 22 and I have tried everything to get rid if it.. I HATE THIS BELLY!! I'm turning 23 in August n I want to look fab,so I was thinking of smartlipo. I havnt worn a bikini since I was 12, n now that I'm grown I would like to feel sexy and confident n whatever I wear. But I am engaged n I do want kids. Can I do the smartlipo and still have a baby n a year or two?

Liposuction before or after pregnancy

+2

Hi Britt,

In theory, an advantage of liposuction before pregancy is that the injury from liposuction will stimulate the fibroblasts in your skin, making them more active and better able to prevent you from develping stretch marks during pregancy.

Abdomen

+1

You can certainly undergo lipo at this time if you desire. As you say you are engaged and thinking of children, but that could be a few years off.  If you really   want the lipo, there is no harm in proceeding at this point i your life. It will have no negative consequences when you decide to have children.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Liposuction before children

+1

Thank you for your question. I cannot say if you are a candidate for SmartLipo without any photos.  Please know that lipsuction removes fat but does not remove excess skin.  It may very well be that liposuction would help now and then a tummy tuck after children. I don't know and can't predict.

To see what is right for you, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.  I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Pregnancy and lipo

+1

If you are planning to get pregnant, I would suggest waiting until  you have completed having children.

Smartlipo does give great results!

+1

Absolutely you can get smart lipo then have a baby. In the right hands, liposuction can deliver great results. Having used tumescent, ultrasonic, and laser smart lipo I can choose the right technology for your body to give you the best results. Remember that ultimately the results you get with ANY type of liposuction depends more on who is doing the surgery and their experience than what equipment they are using. 

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Having SmartLipo prior to pregnancy is not a mistake in the right circumstance

+1

SmartLipo will help remove subcutaneous fat as well as possibly tighten the skin a little bit depending on what you need this may be very helpful.  The fat removal is permanent and will not return.  However, with pregnancy you may gain weight with additional subcutaneous fat all over the body including the abdomen.  This additional weight would be gained whether you have had Smartlipo or not.  Also, the skin as well as muscle wall may stretch with pregnancy so the treatment for this will not be Smartlipo but a tummy tuck.  It’s best to make the decision, whether to proceed with Smartlipo now or wait, with your plastic surgeon who has examined you.   In conclusion, having Smartlipo prior to pregnancy is not a mistake in the right circumstance.

Nicholas Nikolov, MD

Please wait

+1
I would not encourage anyone to have liposuction, whether via smart lipo or another technique, if they are planning to become pregnant within the year. You cannot know how much weight you will gain in pregnancy and the effect on your abdomen in terms of stretching-or even whether you will need a C-section. So, my advice is to be a little patient, save your money, and then make a decision later. I would hate to see you waste your money.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

When to do Smartlipo

+1

You can do Smartlipo now even if you're planning to have a child next year.  Being pregnant causes a lot of changes in your body but the cosmetic effects can be minimized by following your doctors recommendations regarding weight gain and staying in shape.  In my experience, Smartlipo results in a very smooth result in the right hands.  I also do tumescent liposuction, bodyjet liposuction, and vaser liposuction and I preferentially choose Smartlipo for the abdominal area because of the smooth result it can provide.

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Body Contouring options

+1

Hi there-

While Smart Lipo would not be my first choice for your abdomen (higher risks of rippling and waviness, and a greater risk of injury to blood vessels and nerves without measurable benefit over safer alternatives), there should not be a reason that you could not pursue a body contouring procedure and still become pregnant next year.

On the other hand, if you are really planning to become pregnant that soon, I would probably advise that you consider an option that is less invasive, in the interest of more closely pairing the intervention, its risks, its recovery, and its outcome with the length of time you will likely be able to benefit from it.

It somehow doesn't make a lot of sense to go through an operation, recovery, etc, for only a year of benefit- especially if you could be just as happy without surgery.

I would consider Coolsculpting- but first you need to find out if you are a candidate for it. The best way to proceed is to find a good surgeon Certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery who offers both state-of-the-art body contouring procedures and Coolsculpting and visit for a consultation.

Good luck.

Armando Soto, MD