I Just Want to Have an Alar Base Reduction..Can It Be Done Without Tip Reshaping?

I have a big,long nose with wide nostrils and bulbous tip. but I just want to have an alar base reduction...can it be done without tip reshaping ? i want natural results..what is the cost and time of recovery? Thannks

Alar base surgery

Alar base surgery to address alar flaring and nostril size can create very powerful changes to improve the overall appearance of a nose. It can be done without performing rhinoplasty to address other parts of the nose. In some cases, alar base surgery alone can provide a natural result, while in other cases, additional areas of the nose require alteration to create the most balanced and natural result.

When alar base surgery is done well, the resulting appearance will be balanced and natural and the scars will be imperceptible. The recovery is usually straightforward and by 2 weeks after the procedure, the scars should be hard to see.

Alar plasty procedure for wide nostrils

It is possible to undergo an alar plasty without doing any tip surgery. An alar-plasty procedure can be performed under local anesthesia with takes approximately 30 minutes. The cost and our photo gallery link are located below

Reshape nose without tip reshaping

Hello and thank you for your question.

To answer your question..... yes, it is possible to have an alar base reduction without having any surgery on the tip of your nose. I perform this surgery in my office under local anesthesia. Please seek out a board certified plastic surgeon so that they may give you their professional opinion.

Best of luck to you.

David Cangello, MD

Alar base reduction without tip reshaping?

It is possible to perform an alar base reduction alone, but an in-person assessment of your nose would be necessary to determine whether tip reshaping would be necessary to give you the best possible result. I would recommend seeking the advice of a board certified rhinoplasty specialist. He or she will be able to evaluate your nose and provide you with advice. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

I Just Want to Have an Alar Base Reduction. Can It Be Done Without Tip Reshaping?

Alar base reduction by itself in a nose with a bulbous tip will make the tip look even less refined. It would be better to address both of these items. This may cost $5000 on the low end. Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.
Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Rhinoplasty- nose

Alar base reduction (a.k.a. Weir excision) is one of many procedures used by experienced Plastic Surgeons to improve the look of the nose. I would not recommend alar base excision without first assessing the entire pre operative nasal condition. See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for evaluation

I just want to have the lower portion of my nose narrowed. Can it be done without tip reshaping?

It IS possible to narrow the alar base without modifying the tip or bridge of the nose. It is impossible to assess whether that would be recommended without evaluating your nose and face. Most often, this would not be recommended as there are usually issues that need to be addressed in addition to excess width of the lower part of the nose. Seek a consultation with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon to obtain very specific advice on your nose and what might be the best way to achieve your goals. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Weber Facial Plastic Surgery

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alar base reduction rhinoplasty without other changes? Not usually.

If a patient's nose also has a bulbous tip, merely performing an alar base reduction for the wide nostrils can actually worsen the bulbous appearance by making it seem proportionally bigger against the now narrower nasal base. As always with rhinoplasty, balance and proportion of all the related parts of the nose (tip, alar base, etc.) is the key to natural and pleasing results.

As for cost, that varies enormously from place to place and surgeon to surgeon and is based on typical market forces like the surgeon's skill and demand for his/her services, facility costs which vary by region of the country, etc.

Recovery time is based a lot on patient-specific factors, but on average most patients will require one to two weeks of "downtime" if they really want to be discreet about having had any work done. Full healing of any wound, though takes up to a year to settle into its final appearance.

--DCP

Pearson Facial Plastic Surgery®

David C. Pearson, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon