How Many Cup Sizes Are Going to Decrease After Breast Reduction Surgery?

I am 17 years old and I am a DD and I also have very noticeable breast symmetry. I would like to know according what, my breasts are going to be decreased when I have my breast reduction surgery done. I've always had big breast which are really uncomfortable for me and it is bad for my health, which is the reason I'm having surgery done. So I'm wondering how small are they going to make them, because I think I will look weird with too small breast.

Breast Reduction and Resulting Cup Size?

+1

Unfortunately, there is no direct correlation between the amount of tissue removed and the ultimate cup size that a patient will wear after breast reduction surgery.

Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  Most patients, like you, wish to achieve a enough of a reduction to help with their symptoms while remaining proportionate with the remainder of their torso. 

With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small)  very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.‚Ä®Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

Normally after a breast reduction you will achieve a breast cupsize of approximately C.

+1

Thank you very much for your enquiry, normally after a breast reduction you will achieve a breast cupsize of approximately C.

This does, however vary slightly according to your breast shape initially.

The important thing is to fully discuss the appearance you would like with your surgeon and may discuss and may explain if this is possible.

I wish you the best of luck if you do decide to go ahead with surgery.

Adrian Richards, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction Size

+1

Your Plastic Surgeon can make your breast whatever size you feel comfortable with.  Usually when I do breast reductions, patients usually like to be around a C-cup. 

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Cup sizes possible during breast reduction.

+1

You can discuss various sizes with your surgeon and figure out what size will still be firm. 

+1

Even with photos posted, which you did not do. Very hard to advise. The decrease in size and achieving symmetry are the issues. I think at least a c cup is advisable. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski

Can you pick your cup size after breast reduction

+1

There are ways to perform a breast reduction to approximate your desired final cup size. If you want something around a "B" cup, you design the surgery slightly differently than for a "D" cup. While it is impossible to guarantee a specific size, your surgeon should be able to get you in the ballpark.

Since you are still young, there are some addtional questions and issues that should be considered, including: is your breast size stable or are they still growing, do you plan on having children (breast feeding), and is your weight stable.

Good luck

Lawrence Iteld, MD

Size Changes with Breast Reduction

+1

Every patient is different, so it is impossible to predict final size without examining you and actually performing the surgery myself.  My advice is to discuss with your surgeon your expectations and they will be able to give you an estimate of what you can expect with surgery.

Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Breast reduction

+1

That is a difficult question without photos; however, if your breasts are too large and causing discomfort (physical and emotional), then the breast reduction should be done in a way that it will be a "fit" for your body. 

Shahin Javaheri, MD

Breast reduction and final size

+1

Without an exam or at least photos it is impossible to predict the  final cup size for you.  I usually can estimate the volume to be removed when I examine a patient, but cup size is so variable.

You are correct, it can look weird.

+1

Breast reduction surgery is very effective in improving posture and comfort and is commonly done for those reasons. Your doctor can tailor the amount of reduction to suit your chest size so it does not look too small. Make sure you have this discussion with him/her and ask to look at some before and after pictures. Good luck.

Bala S. Chandrasekhar, MD - RETIRED