I'm 24 yrs old, 125 lbs, 5'3, and no children. Which would you recommend a Mini or Full Tummy Tuck? (photos)

Hello, I am 24 years old 125lbs 5'3 no kids, and am thinking of getting a Mini TT.. I have stretch marks above belly button but my main problem is my lower abdominal section. I lost a lot of weight since ages 15-22 about 70 pounds and I am left with excess skin. My Dr said I would need no muscle repair, A littttle bit of lipo around belly button and a Mini would be fine. What do you think?

Mini versus Full Tummy tuck

+2
In light of the fact that you haven't had children, yet; I would recommend a mini-tuck. A full tuck may better address all of your concerns, but much if the effect would be lost by pregnancy. Overall, you've done a great job with your weight loss and at this point, a mini-tuck would improve things until you are ready for a more aggressive procedure. 

New Jersey Plastic Surgeon

Tummy

+2
You need an examination in person. I would need to feel how much extra skin you have and what your life plans are. A full tummy tuck would probably give the best result,  but a mini might make you happy. You might want to have kids before having the bigger procedure. 

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Tummy tuck and liposuction candidate

+2
Hello, thank you for the question and the pics. From my perspective, you will benefit greatly from a full tummy tuck, you have a beautiful waistline, and from what I see in the pictures, you don't seem to need liposuction, although the pics don't show your back really well. A full tummy tuck will help you get rid of the stretch marks bellow the navel, and move the on ones on top of the navel to the lower parts of your abdomen. It is true that there is no real indication for muscle repair, but sometimes, specially in patients who have lost a lot of weight, there is a better result by tightening your muscles with the muscle repair as it builds sort of a corsage using your muscles with a much better improvement in tone and waistline. Hope to have been of some help. Good luck 

Jose A. Leon, MD

Tummy tuck

+1
Hi there Kara and thanks for your question,

Firstly you have a terrific figure and I agree, no muscle repair will be required.

The main difference between a mini TT and a full TT is whether or not the umby gets moved. The problem with a mini TT is that it will lower the position of your umby which I think would detract from the aesthetics of your abdomen.

The question for me, is whether or not there is enough skin to make the incision above or below your current umby. This would need to be determined by examination. Its not a big deal either way, but depends on how much loose skin there is. If the incision is below the umby then we simply close your old belly button opening which leaves you with a small additional scar just above the main scar. My best guess from you pics is that may be required.

Overall you would get a great result from a tummy tuck which would really compliment your figure.

All the best

Richard

Richard Bloom, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

I'm 24 yrs old, 125 lbs, 5'3, and no children. Which would you recommend a Mini or Full Tummy Tuck?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures. I think you will do well with a full tummy tuck operation (quite a dramatic outcome can be expected,  but achieving  realistic expectations will be an important part of the preoperative communication as well).   Most patients who undergo this procedure after pregnancies and/or weight gain/loss, benefit from re approximation of the abdominal wall muscles  as well as from excision of the excess skin/adipose tissue. Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is medically/psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable,  has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her,  does not smoke, is capable of arranging enough recovery time and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

Since you considering undergoing a major operation which often involves a significant physical and emotional recovery ( often underestimated by surgeons and patients alike), a few words of advice may be helpful: 

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself) and that you have realistic expectations. Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life situation. You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.