Dental Crowns Cost?

I'm in the process of the bridge placement for 4 teeth. Initially dental office estimated the cost of the bridge of $4,900 and my co-payment was doing to be of $2,900 ( I have $2000 in dental insurance annually) . Later I received the statement from my dental insurance showing that the dental office submitted the estimation of $6,800 and insurance paid $1,800. Office told me that I am responsible for $4,800 now instead of $2,900. Is it a common situation for this kind of the dental work?

Dental Crown Costs

+2

As you can see from other's responses, costs vary tremendously based on region and skill level of dentist, as well as quality of lab. What you should be concerned with is why did the dentist quote you one fee, and then submit a different fee to insurance (higher), and then tell you that you are responsible for more than he originally said!!

New York Cosmetic Dentist

Crown/bridge costs

+2

The cost can vary quite a bit. I would say from $700 to over $2000 per crown depending on many things: geographic location, which teeth, skill and quality of dentist, lab cost.

In my opinion the biggest cost is the time and skill of the dentist. I reserve an hour and a half to prepare a crown. I also take my own impression (which is state law) and make my own temporary. You may get a lower fee at a high volume office but the dentist may only spend 30 min. with you and the impression may be taken by an assistant (it should not be) and the temporary will be made by an assistant (which is allowed but the dentist has to check it). Also, the lab cost can vary from $70 to over $400 per crown. This cost has to do with the quality of metal or porcelain and the ceramist skill.

The insurance issue can be confusing. I would call your insurance and have them clear it up for you. This depends on whether your dentist is in or out of network. Somehow the math doesn't add up; If the cost of the bridge is $4900 and the insurance paid $1800, then you should only be responsible for $3100.  Some offices send in estimates that are higher to the insurance in an effort to get more coverage. This should help the patient out by reducing their portion. Technically this is considered insurance fraud, because you are inflating the cost for billing purposes but the actuall fee is less.

The fee for the bridge should be determined by the office and it should be the same for cash patients and for insurance patients. Unless you are in-network, which you may get a fee max fee set by the insurance co.

Best way is to send a pre-estimate or pre-determination ahead of time to see how much will be covered before the work is started. This way you can plan your budget accordingly.

Hope this helps

Dr. T

Mauricio C. Tijerino, DMD
Miami Beach Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain crowns

+1

Here in my practice crowns (PFM) are $450 US each and all porcelain are $550 US each. We use only imported materials at our lab (Mexico does not produce dental materials), we also invite patients to visit our lab in case they want/need to.  For a 4 unit PFM bridge the cost here is $1,800 US, includes everything and I need you in Cancun only 5 days.

German Arzate, DDS, MS
Mexico Cosmetic Dentist

Dental Crowns Cost?

+1

I cannot speak for other offices or their policies on insurance, but in our office we do not guarantee any estimates from insurance companies, until they have given you a written explanation of benefits called an EOB.  We give patients the full priced amount of their treatment plan, and a best-case/worse-case scenario so they know what they are responsible for, should the insurance not pay (which happens often).  It generally takes an insurance company 4-6 weeks to receive your claim, have their board of dentists review it, and make a decision.  We tell our patients if they want a guarantee from their insurance company, they should wait to receive their EOB, which is a guarantee of exactly what the insurance will pay, and what your responsibility is.  As for the cost of crowns, it depends of if the office is a contracted insurance provider and if they abide by the insurance fee schedule.  In our office, we have crowns that are from a local lab at the PPO rate.  If our patient opts for an upgraded lab, there are upgrade fees.  Generally, crowns can range anywhere from $800-2000 per tooth depending on how complex your case is, how many teeth you are doing, and which lab you select.  Hope this helps!

Charles Nottingham, DDS, FAGD
Fort Lauderdale Cosmetic Dentist

Is a bridge the best treatment

+1

as far as fee go, everybody charges the fee that can.  Wide variation in quality and skill. But, is a bridge the best treatment?  With implants, you preserve tooth structure and all teeth can be single units. Longevity is also potentially lifetime with implants, if the work is completed correctly.  Good luck with your treatment.  

Martin Gorman, DDS
Encino Cosmetic Dentist

Cost of crown?

+1

Depends on doctors skill and experience and materials used $900-!900.00 seems like a fair range  good luck

Kevin Coughlin DMD, MBA, MAGD   CEO Baystate Dental PC

Kevin Coughlin, DMD
Springfield Cosmetic Dentist

Dental Bridge cost

+1

There are great variations in practices.  Crowns made by better labs run upwards of $350 and can go all the way up to $1000 in certain cases (just for the lab fee).  Crowns made by cheap assembly line labs can cost $100 even as little as $30 for made in China or somewhere else overseas.  It's like a car or house or anything else, generally you get what you pay for.  Ask your dentist about his lab and the materials they use.  It should be a small boutique independent lab - this usually means greater quality control.  Also, there is a difference in dentists - some are much more skilled and educated.  This can usually be demonstrated through close ups of their work.  When I show my patients my work it is a huge blow-up picture of 4 to 6 teeth.  I ask them to tell me which one is the crown or the implant among the other 5 natural teeth.  They can't tell.  This is a good way for you to judge.

Lawrence Singer, DMD
Washington Cosmetic Dentist