How long do breast implants last? Does having the impact over vs under the muscle make a difference in implant life span?

Do implants last forever or after a certain amount of time do you have to get them replaced? 

Only diamonds last forever

+1
I have been an active, practicing plastic surgeon with an expertise in breast surgery for over fifteen years. I have been amazed at the advances in breast implant manufacturing over this time. Implants may not be lifetime devices, but most patients should expect to enjoy good health and the figure they desire over extended period of 10 years+, especially if the new fifth-generation, highly cohesive silicone gel implant is the choice (also known as the Gummy Bear).

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Longevity

+1
Although the resilience of breast implants continues to improve, they are not marketed as "lifetime" devices. Patients are cautioned by manufacturers and plastic surgeons alike that implants should not be expected to last forever.

With that said, most patients find that their implants last for many years. Ten years is not at all unusual, and many patients find their implants remain intact much longer than that. While you may wish to have a periodic MRI to check for integrity--in the case of silicone gel implants--there's really no reason to consider replacing breast implants unless some kind of problem arises.

There's no evidence that size, placement and other aspects of your implant choices have much, if any, impact on longevity. Choose a well-qualified, board certified plastic surgeon and make decisions about what's best for you and your body.

Elliot Jacobs, M.D.

Elliot W. Jacobs, MD

Breast implants how long do they last

+1
Implants are a well constructed mechanical device, but like any device they may eventually fail.
In saline implants the rate of rupture has been quoted somewhere between 1%-4% per year. Basically the older the implant the higher the risk of rupture.
With a saline implant, If your happy and you look good my philosopy is if "it's not broke don't fix it" If the shell of the lmplant leaks it just releases salt water which is what your body is made of. You'll know if you leak because the breast will get rapidly smaller. I have patients that have gone more than 20 years with intact saline implants.
With respect to silicone implants the new generation of cohesive implants have a thicker shell and a thicker silicone. All early indications are that they should last longer and behave better than the older generation of gel implants and may even last longer than saline. This longevity is still being evaluated.
Because you can't always tell if a silicone implant is leaking on physical examination (the gel just stays inside you) the FDA currently recommends women with gel implants get an MRI to look at the implants 3 years after surgery and every 2 years thereafter.
Because the rate of capsular can go up if an implant leaks I would rather see my own patients change a gel implant before they find a leak on the MRI. Exchanging an intact gel implant is a short procedure with little down time. Removing a tight contracted and leaking implant is much more involved. I use the conservative estimate of 10 years presently but I expect to increase this as we get more information on the lonevity of our new generation of silicone gel implants.

Antoine A. Hallak, MD, FACS

How long do breast implants last

+1
Thank you for an excellent question. All implants eventually rupture, though the time for this to happen is quite variable. Typically, studies quote a 10-15 year time before rupture rates start to increase, though we all have patients that have had their implants for much longer, even twice that long. We do not replace the implants unless there is a problem, so there is no reason to exchange the implants in anticipation of a rupture.
As for the positioning of the implant below or above the muscle, this has not been shown to affect the life span of the implant.
Best of luck with your breasts.
Jeff Rockmore

Jeffrey Rockmore, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

How long do breast implants last?

+1
Neither saline nor silicone gel breast implants are life time devices. Both types of implants can “fail”. Also, automatic removal/replacement of these implants at the ten year mark ( either saline or silicone gel) is not necessary.  One common saying in the business: “if they're not broken, we don't fix them”. In other words, if patients are doing well and are pleased with the breast implant size, positioning etc., there is no need to remove/replace. There is no evidence that the position of the breast implants affects their longevity. Best wishes.

Breast implants can last for a very long time

+1
Thank you for your question.  FDA guidelines state that a significant number of breast implant patients will need some form of revision within 10 years.  However I would never recommend that breast implants be removed or changed at 10 years simply because 10 years has elapsed.  If your breast implants do not have problems, do not develop firmness or other complications breast implants can lasta very long time.  I have seen breast implant patients who have had implants in for 40 or 50 years without complications.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

How long do Breast Implants last

+1
hi,
As has been pointed out, there is no fixed time frame for the life of implants and 10 - 15 years would be a conservative estimate.
However while the implants stay largely unchanged, the reaction of the tissues (around the implant, muscles, skin, capsule), your body weight, pregnancy, and generalised ageing will change the relationship between your body frame and the implant, to some extent (which is different for each individual)
This might call for an implant exchange.
hope this helps
warm regards
prashant

Prashant Murugkar, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Implant longevity

+1
Thanks for your email.
Like all prosthetic material, such as hip and knee replacements. Breast implants also have a shelf life.
Now it can vary how long they last, especially with the quality of implants in use today.
A safe estimate would be 10-15years.

Here is a little video and short article on it.

thebreastclinic.com.au/how-long-do-implants-last/

Pouria Moradi, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant longevity

+1
Thank you for the question. Breast implants can last a very long time especially the newer generation of breast plants. 

There is no time limit as to when they have to come out. Simply they can stay in as long as there is no problem with them. 
The placement of the implant should not effect the life span however continued contraction of the muscle sometimes pushes the implant down and to the side if the implant is placed underneath the muscle. 

Best of luck ....

Dr. Khuthaila 

Dana Khuthaila, MD, FACS