How Much Walking is Recommended After Outer Thigh Smart Lipo?

I had smart lipo done on my outer thighs on Monday the 6th. I have some swelling and soreness but i am not in any major pain. I am wondering how much walking is recommended at this stage ? I am able to walk pretty comfortably left my house for couple of short trips to the store already. I want to take small walks in the neighnorhood but wondering if it would have any adverse effects or not ? Thank you !!

Take walks...

+1

It is perfectly ok to take a walk around the neighborhood, we actually recommend for you to do this. Do not push yourself but do as you feel comfortable.

Walking Boosts Circulation after Smartlipo

+1

Since smartlipo of the thigh region can cause mild swelling, it is essential to wear a compression garment and walk regularly during the first week, so that bloodflow from your legs maintains good circulation. The calf muscles (gastrocnemius, soleus) are commonly referred to as the "skeletal muscle pump" or "peripheral heart" because of their role in pumping venous blood back to the heart.

Increasing respiratory and heart rates during walking and exercise will deliver oxygen and nutrients more efficiently and expedite healing from the procedure.

Good luck!

Daniel Levy, MD
Bellevue Dermatologic Surgeon

Cyclical Thigh Swelling After Liposuction

+1

There is no long-term harm in walking after liposuction when you feel comfortable. What you will notice, however, is that increased activity will cause some cyclical swelling (lymphedema) in the thighs as a result. This means that by the end of the day the thigh will be slightly swollen which will go down by the morning. This cyclical lymphema is quite common and will go away after a few months.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Exercise after SmartLipo

+1

My recommendations regarding exercise following SmartLipo are guided by the amount of   pain a patient is having.  It is fine to walk in the neighborhood if you are comfortable enough and you will not cause any problems as long as you:

• Stay hydrated, especially in the hot weather.
  • Elevate your legs upon your return home to diminish swelling. 
  • Pay attention to signals from your body.  If you are having pain, it is time to stop. Just remember, you need to keep in mind that how far you go, is how far you must return!

Glad to hear you are doing so well after your recent treatment.

Elysa Fisher, MD
Wilmette Plastic Surgeon

Walk

+1

After a few days rest, I think exercise in reasonable amounts is good. Don't overdo and be sure to watch your diet

David A. Bray, Sr., MD