How Much Walking 1-7 Days After TT, Breast Aug, Lipo?

I am 2 days post-op and have been trying to walk as much as I can. My mom motors me in circles around the upstairs after I've used the restroom (2-4X/day). I've noticed many PS saying get up 1x/hr or even go outside! I get fatigued just making it to the bathroom and find it hard to believe people are going up and down stairs at this point. I sleep upright bc it feels better, clearing out phlegm, & if I am reclined I flex my ankles & knees frequently while taking in deep breaths. Am I doing ok?

Questions to Ask YOUR Plastic Surgeon: Activity after tummy tuck and breast augmentation

+1

Activity level after any surgery is important to discuss with your surgeon, and after plastic surgery it is of the utmost importance to decrease the risk of blood clots froming in your legs with early ambulation and decrease the amount of sewlling with rest. This should be included in your preoperative planning package that a board certified plastic surgeon should have supplied or office would have included. Please discuss what their preferences are, but erly ambualtion in general does lessen the risk of blood clots.

I hope this helps and let me know if you want a copy of my after care instructions.

Walking post tummy tuck

+1

The most important thing is walking or keeping your legs elevated.You do not want to get blood clots and early ambulation is important.I tell my patients NO prolonged sitting in a chair.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Physical activity after surgery

+1

Your body is your best thermometer. Don't push yourself more than you can handle. I agree it is best to walk a little bit and sit most of the time, than to lie in bed all day.  However, over doing it may also increase your chance of bleeding and wound break down.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Surgical recovery is patient dependent

+1

Recovery from any surgical procedure depends on the individual patient, the procedure performed and the instructions of each particular surgeon. Following an abdominoplasty, I always advise my patients to start getting out of bed and walking around on the night of surgery. The reason for this is twofold: it reduces the risk of pulmonary (lungs) complications and it also reduces the risk of deep venous thrombosis. That being said, it is also important that you do not overdo it too soon after surgery. Patients who feel great and resume their normal activites immediately post-op are more likely to pull on the plication sutures (for muscle tightening) and possibly develop a post-operative bleed.

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck recovery

+1

It sounds like you are moving around plenty.  I recommend that my patients get up a walk several times daily, but I don't expect them to be walking outside or for any great length.  You seem conscientious and aware of what you need to do after surgery, but do call your surgeon's office for any other clarification.

Carmen Kavali, MD

Everyone recovers differently from surgery.

+1

From what you describe, you are recovering appropriately. A tummy tuck, breast augmentation, and liposuction is a lot of surgery and a lot of anesthesia. The important components of the first week are to continue ambulating to improve swelling reduction, prevent blood clots, and increase your stamina. It is important to stay well hydrated and eat multiple small meals throughout the day. I recommend a multivitamin and healthy intake of protein to assist with healing. The use of an incentive spirometer (the blue ball machine that you inhale on from the hospital) will improve your lung function and decrease the "phlegm" you are experiencing. Recovery should be done at your own pace with the goal of feeling slightly fatigued after each exercise (walking, stairs, etc.). As you build your stamina and the pain begins to subside, you'll find it easier to perform these exercises.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

2 days post op

+1

If you are two days post-op, you really should be communicating with your PS office explaining your situation and asking specifically how much under your circumstance, you should be doing. 

Marc Schneider, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Walking is important after tummy tuck

+1

It is important to be up and on your feet immediately after tummy tuck. Very short walks are fine, it is not exercise you are after, just activity to promote deep breathing and circulation in your legs. Up in and around the house the first week is just fine until your strength returns. Frequency, not distance.

peterejohnsonmd

Yes, you are doing okay.

+1

Post operative care and guideline vary slightly among plastic surgeons.  However, in general, we want our patients to be active so that patients do not develop post-operative complications such as DVT (deep venous thrombosis), PE (pulmonary embolism), and pulmonary infection.  You want to ambulate so that your blood does not stay in stasis.  At the same time, you do not want to fatigue yourself out - i.e. you should get some rest as tummy tuck, liposuction, and breast augmentation is a big combo surgery.  I think getting out of bed once every hour and moving your ankles up and down in bed would be plenty.  Good luck with your recovery!

Sugene Kim, MD

Pulmonary embolism is the most serious complicattion od Abdominoplasty

+1

Getting back to a normal activity level as quickly as possible after abdominoplasty is very important. As a precaution I often begin medication to decrease the likehood of  pulmonary embolism post operatively. Early ambulation may allow me to discontinue this sooner.  This same medication can increase the chance of bleeding complications so caution is indicated.

In general I provide adequate analgesia including Motrin like drugs for the pain. Pain pumps with local anesthetics are available but they are expensive and I have not had much better results with them. These will not take all the pain away so I encourage patients to do what they feel up to. If it hurts too much you need to back off. The incisions are closed and the wounds won't open up.

Remember, Abdominoplasty coveres a range of procedures. Sometime more is necessary, sometimes less. And always, always talk about this with your surgeon and follow their recomendations. They know what they did!

Thomas R. Walek, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon