Why Does Someone Have to Walk Bent over After a Full Tummy Tuck?

Does It Happen to Everyone?

Correct posture after tummy tuck

+4

An integral part of my post op instructions is NOT TO WALK BENT  OVER AFTER YOUR TUMMY TUCK! Patients are asked to assume their comfortable pre op posture. Walking bent over can cause severe back spasm which can last for weeks( See previous posts on this subject on this site) and may cause constipation. If the operation is done properly and the patient is medicated appropriately it is not necessary.

Sleeping with 2 pillows under your knees and under your head ,or your side in the fetal position makes sleeping easier.

!

Bronx Plastic Surgeon

Standing Straight after an Abdominoplasty

+3

Most plastic surgeons bend the operating table when they do abdominoplasties so that more skin can be removed.  This makes things tight especially when there is swelling, too. There is no harm in standing straight; it just hurts.  There is also no benefit so why suffer?  After my own abdominoplasty I found that my lower back began to hurt because it wasn't used to holding my body in a bent out position.  Each day I could stand a bit straighter.  I went back to work at 10 days (pushing it a bit).  By 6 months I was doing back bends so don't worry that bending over for a week or two will be a problem.

Lori H. Saltz, MD

Hunching not necessary after tummy tuck

+2

The goal of a tummy tuck is to get the skin and muscles tight to improve the abdominal contour.

For some patients, it is more comfortable to flex (bend) at the waist to take some of the tension off of the abdominal skin. This should relax relatively quickly and in less than a week you should be able to stand nearly or totally straight.

By gradually stretching out, much of the strain will be taken off of your lower back, but be careful not to over do it- listen to your body.

Lawrence Iteld, MD

Normal posture is expected after tummy tuck

+2

Some may find they are more comfortable slightly bent, or with their knees up and flexed right after tummy tuck, as the muscles may feel tight. Normal straight posture is expected almost right away though, certainly within a day or two after the procedure. Normal posture will relieve stress on your back and help you feel better faster.

peterejohnsonmd

Stand up straight after Tummy Tuck

+2

Many of my patients will find it difficult to stand up straight after a tummy tuck due to tight muscle repair and skin resection.  However, everyone can walk erect after the first week or two and will usually be able to get back to the beach, gym, or strenuous activities by the third week and beyond. 

Randy Wong, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+2

The main reasons:  much excess skin was excised, to reduce the initial tension on the incision, reduce the pain.

Shahin Javaheri, MD

Tummy tuck and early postoperative posture

+2

There are two main reasons why a person walks bent over after a tummy tuck. One is the muscle plication or tightening and the other is the lower abdominal skin excision. The more skin is excised, the more bent over the patient is. The reason for this, is that most surgeons want the old belly button opening or scar removed and not leave a small vertical scar in the lower abdomen between the belly button and the suprapubic scar. The surgeon needs to assess this preoperatively and inform the patient of this posibility to avoid a very tight closure, causing the patient to be bent over and risk of dehiscence or separation of the closure from undue tension. In my practice I tell my abdominoplasty patients that they might be slightly bent over for a few days and all of them are straight in 3-5 days. If you do not tighten the lower abdominal skin appropriately, then shortly after your procedure after the swelling resolves, you will end up with some loose lower abdominal skin or fold. It takes a lot of experience and judgement to find the happy medium. A board certified plastic surgeon can explain what you can expect from your specific surgery. Good luck.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Resting your abdomen after after a tummy tuck.

+2

After tummy tuck, the skin of the abdomen isquite tight and the patients are usually instructed to remain bent over at least 45 degrees for the first 4 to 5 days after surgery.

Posture after Tummy Tuck

+1
Because excess skin is removed during the tummy tuck procedure and the remaining skin sutured together you may feel tightness after the surgery. I recommend my patients do not stand straight for a couple of days after their surgery. This is to minimize the discomfort of this tightness and avoid  pulling on the incision lines. However you should follow your surgeon's instructions. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Why do you need to flex at waist after tummy tuck

+1

The recommendations to walk flexed at your waist is to prevent excessive tension or pulling forces at a fresh incision line. you want to give some time for your incision to heal and for the skin to relax.  Generally, most patients after tummy tuck can walk straight in 5-10 days after their procedure.  gradually, you should be able to straighten up more and more each day.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS