MACS Facelift Problem?

I had a modified macs facelift 3months ago but still have bruising on my cheeks and bunching under the skin.. Will it go? Also when I speak my mouth pulls down to the side and it makes me look sad. It looks like the muscles haven't been lifted upwards. I had fat transfer to the face at the same time, also have pouches at the corners of my mouth which look strange. I'm really embarrassed and am aware of my family staring at me.

MACs facelift issues at 3 Months

MACS facelift utilizes pursestring sutures and a shorter scar.  The vertical pull and nature of the pursestrings has to be done in a very precise manner to avoid distortion.  Ask your surgoen what can be done.  If you are looking for a revision after about 6 months or so, find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who understands the complexities of many facelift techniques and can move between them.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

MACS Facelift

Thank you for your MACS Facelift question. I am sorry you have this problem.

• Your 'bruises' may be post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation - skin darkening from irritation. Glycolic peels and 4% hydroquinone may help.
  • Bunching under the skin is from the deep suture - 6-12 months to subside. 
  • Bunched skin usually needs to be re-draped, surgically.
  • Mouth pull-down may be from surgery, fat transfers or nerve weakness. Consider a second opinion from a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to figure out the best way to approach this. Hope this helps!

MACS Facelift

You may need a revision concerning the bunching of skin.  The bruising should have resolved.  You will need to see your surgeon concerning that issue.  Sounds like the fat transfers are not distributed well.  Again your surgeon will need to develop a plan for you.

MACS facelifts like any other procedure have certain indications which it would be useful.  It is not a facelift for all.

Dr. ES

Macs facelift issues

I am personally not a fan of the macs facelift as I don't like the vertical pull on the skin or the heavy duty plication sutures in the SMAS substituting for a SMAS flap.  I'd suggest you go back to your doctor for an exam and if you have lost confidence, seek another opinion. You should have been mostly healed by now.

Macs facelift complications.

Only your surgeon can answer your questions without me examining you directly to see what I think is going on. Get a second opinion if u r still not happy after u see your surgeon. 

MACS facelift problems

You should discuss your concerns with your operating surgeon. At 3 months, your bruising should be gone. The other distortions you describe warrant a careful evaluation and if not better with time, may need to be revised.

Facelift problem?

Most patients are very well healed  3 months after a traditional  SMAS face lift. The bruising that is present on the cheeks may be due to iron  pigment deposit in the skin from previous bruising, also known as hemosiderinosis. It is best to return  to your original surgeon to figure out  how to address the asymmetry and irregularity is present from the surgery

Close Follow Up Required Following Facelift

Without photos and an exam as well as reviewing your surgical note details it is not possible to give accurate opinions or advice. I suggest that you return to your plastic surgeon with your concerns.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Short incision facelifts are indicated in only a small subset of patients.

While admirable, miniaturized operations have to be properly applied. The more skin removed the longer the incisions have to be – end of story. When trying to remove a large amount of skin through small incision gathering up of the remaining skin is inevitable. The only solution is to lengthen the incision and remove the surplus. Your other issues could be addressed the same time.