Is Waiting 6 Weeks for a Consult Normal? Do I Need to Lose Weight Before Having Lower Body Lift and BA? (Photo)

I'm wondering if 6 weeks is a reasonable time frame for a consult. Also, I am 5'9-5'10 (I've lost height due to a couple herniated disks after childbirth) my weight right now is bouncing around between 210 and 220, I have hypothyroidism and since the birth of my third son last fall I have not been able to get back down to my usual 180'ish. I have had my levels tested and they are in range, My question is do I need to loose a lot of weight before I can have LBL and BA procedures? I feel huge! lol

When ready for body lift

+2

From your photo, you have a moderate anterior abdominal wall pannus that appears deflated and would be greatly improved with an abdominoplasty.  Liposuctition of the flanks and hips could be performed at the same time to contour your waistline.  Your BMI is 31 which is borderline (you wanna be less than 30) but still reasonable to proceed with surgery. 

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Do I need to lose weight? (photo)

+2

My advice is to lose extra weight before surgery.  Get help in this effot.  Set a timeframe.  There are many ways to drop extra fat, but because of your hypothyroid, my recommendation is lean protein only diet for a few weeks (can include many zero calorie satisfying selections... food technology is AMAZING these days) pushing your body into ketosis.  To curb your hunger, use a prescription stimulant appetite suppressant such as phentermine or phendimetrazine.  A professional must help manage this program.  It is relatively easy to stick with, and you will melt your extra pounds away.

The answer to your question "Do I need to lose a lot of weight?" is NO.   To elaborate however, although you don't NEED to lose weight before surgery, my opinion is that surgery alone will not make you truly happy.  Weight loss plus surgery WILL make you happy, and your best surgical result will be achieved AFTER weight loss.

Steve Laverson, MD

Best to have lower BMI before surgery

+2

6 weeks seems a bit long to wait for a consult, but maybe you just picked a very busy plastic surgeon.

Regarding your weight, it is ALWAYS best to get as close to a normal BMI as you can before surgery.  Fro you that would be under 200 lbs.  The surgery will go better, and the results will be more lasting.

Robert Stroup, Jr., MD, FACS
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Waiting time for consultation

+2

Six weeks is a long time to wait, particularly given this economy.  Some plastic surgeons try to create the impression of being in high demand by staggering their consult appointments and then calling to say that there is an earlier slot in the schedule.  I hear this all the time from my NY patients---that and the receptionists with phony British accents.  Personally, I think it's comical.  Unless the surgeon is ill or on vacation, the typical waiting time is about 2-3 weeks, depending upon the day and hour.  I add consult hours in the springtime because so many patients want to get in and have their surgeries before the summer.  In terms of the weight loss, it would be advantageous to drop the remaining 20-30 pounds before having surgery.  If you really try and are unable to lose the weight, I can understand why you'd want to have the abdomen, in particular, treated.  I would encourage you to see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation.  If you elect to undergo the surgery and lose more weight later, then just be aware that you may require revisional surgery at additional expense.  This is certainly something to discuss with your surgeon.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Drop Weight before Lower Body Lift and Breast Augmentation?

+2

Thank you for the question and picture.

Waiting time for consultation will vary from one practice to another;  this time may be well spent with continuing efforts to drop your weight even further. It is best to be as close to possible to a long-term stable weight before undergoing body contouring surgery.

Is Waiting 6 Weeks for a Consult Normal? Do I Need to Lose Weight Before Having Lower Body Lift and BA?

+2

Not sure if you are asking to wait for the initial consult or to have the operation in six weeks. Anyway always best to be at a lower weight prior to a very large surgery. So yes lose the extra weight. If you are waiting for a consult for 6 weeks seek other in person opinions. I believe that is a long time just to have a first meeting. 

Do I Need to Lose Weight Before Having Lower Body Lift and BA?

+1

Being at or close to your ideal weight is always recommended, but the decision is individualized. It looks like your would have a dramatic improvement even at your current weight, and if you are stalled, your surgeon can go over the pros and cons with you. Thanks and best wishes.   

Losing weight before surgery / Bajando de peso antes de cirugia

+1

Waiting for perfection can be trying.  Every office is different, some work at a quick pace other offices move very slowly.  If your surgeon is great then the wait is worth it.  At this point you can have surgery.  Obviously the less you weigh the better the results will be.  But if you are truly stuck at that weight go for and enjoy your new body.  After three kids you deserve it.

Good luck and thank you for the question.

Sincerely,

Anire Okpaku MD FACS

Esperar por perfeccion puede ser una prueba. Todas las oficinas son diferentes, algunas algunas trabajan de manera mas rapida que otras pero sis u cirujano es bueno entonces la espera merece la pena.
En este momento usted si puede someterse a cirugia. Obviamente lo menos que usted pesa mejores pueden ser los resultados. Pero si usted de verdad no puede bajar mas, entonces haz la cirugia y disfruta su nuevo cuerpo. Despues de tres embarazos usted lo merece.

Suerte y gracias por la pregunta!

Anire Okpaku, MD FACS