Waiting Timeline for Revision Rhinoplasty

why do some doctors say its ok to wait 2 months to do a revision and others say 6 months to a year? if its to lower the bridge and not to add to it is there harm in doing it sooner?

Timing of Nasal Revision

+2

My answer to your question is identical to my anwer to your identical question on July 18th. You have received advise from multiple experienced surgeons. Best of luck.

Revision rhinoplasty

+2

I have never heard of anyone doing a rhino revision in 2 months.  Usually the waiting time is at least 6 months to 1 year.  This is to allow for the soft tissues to soften up.

Wait time for revision rhinoplasty

+2

Hi,

The reason most surgeons wait a year or so before proceeding with a revision is to allow post op swelling, scar tissue and skin thickness to subside and be able to have a better result. Waiting this amount of time allows the nose to define itself and one can see how the changes made during the operation really turned out . As Dr. Slupchynskyj said, some noses can be revised earlier. I think that if the revision does involve the tip and the swelling has mostly subsided it is OK to go ahead sooner than a year. Good luck.

Dr. A. Gantous

Andres Gantous, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

When to have revision

+1

In general it is a good idea to wait about one year before seeking a revision.  There are a number of good reasons for this which your surgeon can discuss with you.

Sam Naficy, MD

Timing of revision rhinoplasty

+1

There are certain aspect of revisions that can be performed fairly soon after the initial rhinoplasty such as an alar base reduction.  The dorsum or bridge of the nose has the thinnest skin and this takes time for the swelling to completely subside and settle.  If you lower the dorsum too soon after the initial surgery, your risk lowering it too far and once the swelling subsides, you will have a slooped or scooped nose for a result.  Best advice is to wait at least  9 months to a year for a revision.

Etai Funk, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty timeline

+1

In general, I recommend waiting a year prior to any major revision.  We know from experience that while the majority of the swelling is gone at 2 months, it can take a year or longer for all of it to dissipate and so to see the final result.  Revision rhinoplasty is a complex procedure in many cases so we want to set things up to have the best chance at a good result, and often that means waiting a bit longer to perform the procedure.

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

Every case is different. Some nose can be revised at 2 months, some have to wait a year. I depends on how much swelling has dissipated. In your case, it sounds like you can have it done sooner than later. This also varies from surgeon to surgeon.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS