Waiting Time Between Surgeries?

I am planning on having a rhinoplasty and a breast augmentation this year, but with two different surgeons. Is it ok to book them a couple days apart in order to consolidate recovery time/the time I take off work??

Waiting Time Between Surgeries? #plasticsurgery

+1

I am sure it would be fine but why put yourself through two general anesthesias? My suggestion would be to try and have your two surgeons coordinate you surgery day so they both can do them at the same time. I would advise that you try to create a situation that allows you to have one anesthesia, but if that can't be done there really is no amount of time between anesthesias that matters. We take patients back to surgery day after day for burn reconstruction, and all kinds of other reasons. So if you are healthy there is no reason why you would not tolerate multiple anesthesias close together. It is just smarter to do them all at once.

Waiting time between surgical procedures

+1

Why not have the two surgical procedures at the same time.  That way you only need one anesthetic.  It is possible to have a reconstructive procedure, such as a rhinoplasty performed at the same time as a cosmetic procedure such as an augmentation.  This can be done by two different surgeons or by the same plastic surgeon.  The choice is yours.  

Waiting Time Between Surgeries?

+1

There are arguments to be made for either order.  Make sure that you determine from the anesthesiologists and surgeons involved about the time needed between surgeries.  Most anesthesiologists will want these spaced by at least a few days.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Two different procedures

+1

I would recommend waiting about a week between procedures to be on the safe side.  The order you do them in is also a consideration. Do the breasts first.  If you do the nose first, the anesthesiologist will need to put a mask over your face shortly after your rhinoplasty and could injure the nose if done in close sequence. Other surgeons have recommended finding a surgeon who can do both or have the surgeons work together.  While those are good suggestions, I realize that is not necessarily an option for all cases.   There is nothing wrong with your plan if that is the way you want to go.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Combine breast and nose surgeries in one operation with one plastic surgeon

+1

There are thousands of board certified plastic surgeons who can do both procedures in one operation so why not find one in your area?

In theory, the rhinoplasty may stir up some bacteria circulating in your blood stream leading to a slightly higher risk of implant infection but anti-staph oral or IV antibiotic coverage should be protective. Many patients carry staph intranasally so a few days of preop topical antibiotc ointment may offer additional protection.

C. Dennis Bucko, MD

Timing between Surgery

+1

I would not have two separate surgeries only days apart.  Try to see if your doctors can work together.  If not you should wait at least two weeks between the operations.  This is the safest route in my opinion.  

Mark A. Schusterman, MD

Scheduling both procedures in a week

+1

Hi! Thank you for your question.

I am Dr. Speron, a proud member of both the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ASAPS).  I am also certified with the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
The breast augmentation and the rhinoplasty surgery could be performed within a week of each other or longer. There is no contraindication other than just recovering from two anesthetics.

If you have decided to do the rhinoplasty surgery first however, ask your board certified plastic surgeon when he or she would feel comfortable with you undergoing general anesthesia induction. At the beginning of any general anesthesia, an oxygen mask is usually placed over your face and nose, and significant pressure might be placed on the nose. Your nose should be healed completely prior to potentially traumatizing it in such a manner.

I have provided a link below for additional information and before and after pictures.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call us at 847.696.9900.
Best of luck and have a great day!
Regards,
Dr. Speron

Sam Speron, MD

Timing between two procedures.

+1

Hello Jenny , I'm totally agree with Dr. Tholen. Rhinoplasty first, antibiotics for aprox. 5 days, followed by Breast Augmentation Surgery  and continue with antibiotics for 5 days more.   It is much safer this way, in terms of breast capsular contraction prevention.  Best wishes .Dr. Vega 

Ricardo Vega, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Timing between breast and rhinoplasty surgery.

+1

These two surgeries can be done relatively close together, but because bacterial contamination causing biofilm formation can lead to increased risk of breast capsular contracture, and since rhinoplasty involves surgical manipulation of tissues where there are lots of bacteria, I would recommend doing rhinoplasty first. Several days later, breast augmentation would be safe (since any bacteremia would be cleared rapidly, and you will be on antibiotics).

You will likely be intubated (OET--oral endotracheal tube) with rhinoplasty, since the airway must be protected from bleeding. However, LMA (laryngeal mask airway) is commonly used with breast augmentation, and even if an endotracheal tube is deemed more appropriate for your breast surgery, the nasal splint will ensure the anesthesia provider takes care to avoid your new nose. Intubation via the mouth (if needed) would STILL be unlikely to damage or get close to the nose, so with due respect to Dr. Ellis, I would recommend nose first, breasts second. This also gives the longest recovery time for the facial (visible area) bruising to reabsorb, whereas the breasts are clothed. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Timing between surgeries

+1

Yes 2 days would be enough time between those surgeries, but have the breast done first as with breast surgery they may want to intubate you and your nose could get damaged.

David A. F. Ellis, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon