Waiting for New Crease to Form. Will Massage Work?

I had two very asymmetrical breasts prior to getting 325cc on left and 350 on right. My right breast sat much higher prior and was different shaped and its crease or fold wasn't fully formed. My incisions were under the crease and although the left breast looks good, the right is malshaped. The incision on the old crease is 3/4 of the way down on my breast and its almost a double boob look. My ps has me gently pushing down on the right breast to even it out and creat a new fold. Will it work?

Double fold following lowering of breast crease

+2

Depending on which surgical interventions were performed such as dual plane or radial relaxing incisions, ti is possible that a new fold will form with time. In the meantime, I would follow the advice of your surgeon and allow 6-9 months to transpire prior to revision.

"Double Bubble"

+2

Correcting asymmetry is quite a challenge.

The persistence of the old crease in the lower half of the breast can be vexing. During surgery, plastic surgeons will try maneuvers to minimize the crease, but sometimes it will remain.

It is good advice to massage; that may help diminish the crease.

Unfortunately, there is no way to accurately predict if it will disappear, and our ability to make it disappear is limited.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

All women have asymmetrical breast and a crease on the bottom of the higher breast is not uncommon with breast augmentation

+2

When one of a woman's breast is higher that the opposite breast, it requires the surgeon to open the inferior pocket for the breast implant below the existing mammary fold. This often results in a crease which we call a double bubble. This often softens to the point that it is no longer seen. Your surgeon is right to have you continue to push your implant down into this new pocket. Often it is a good idea to wear a one sided pressure strap on the top of the higher breast until the implant stays down of its on accord. This will also help to soften the double bubble

Carl W. 'Rick' Lentz III, MD

Apparent double-bubble problem

+1

It may be a bit late and various answers have addressed aspects of this. It's also not certain without photos/exam, but this sounds like a classic double-bubble problem and will not be corrected by time or massage although it may soften or settle out a bit and there is little to be gained by intervening before the tissues have fully recovered and the contour on both sides is stable. 

If the incision to put the implants in was made in the planned inframammary crease and it is now on the underside of the breast, the breast/implant have bottomed and the control over the proper level for the inframammary crease is lost. This aggravates the other aspect of double-bubble contour problems which is inadequate release of the lower edge of the pectoralis muscle such that it can (in some patients but not all) pull on the fascial supports of the breast to the skin and appear to be a remnant of the original inframammary crease. Although there are exceptions related to skin or breast tissue issues, it is a myth in my opinion that the double-bubble is the old inframammary crease. 

Correction involves releasing the lower edge of the pectoralis muscle so that it can retract up to at least the level of the nipple (dual-plane release) but not over-releasing it along the medial border. The capsule has to be resected or turned up and the implant position elevated such that the correct level for the inframammary crease can be secured to the chest wall and healed there. This is fairly straightforward via the existing inframammary crease incisional scar. 

Other potential causes of double-bubble deformity are implants that are too projecting or too wide for the space behind the breast and over-dissection of the tissues below the level of the inframammary incisional scar or existing inframammary crease. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

IMO, Manipulation of the Fold Under the Breast is Rarely a Good Idea

+1

Hi there-

I'm sorry you are having problems...

Without knowing more and/or seeing you for an exam, it would be very difficult to give you accurate advice, but I would be skeptical that an appearance and asymmetry of the folds you are bothered by now would improve over time with massage.

With regard to the appearance of the inframmary fold, I would say that the way it looks the day after surgery is likely the way it is going to look.

I would discuss this with your surgeon at your next visit.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Breast asymmetry

+1

Everyone has different breasts.  It sounds like from your description that one side is less developed and the fold was not really existent.  You still need to give it time, and follow your surgeon's recommendations.

+1

Correcting an asymmetry and underdeveloped breast is, as you have read, a challenge and that it is not always possible to get a perfect result.  Without a picture, it is very difficult to comment on your exact situation but your result should improve over time and you may indeed need a revision. I would not be in too much of a hurry as you are asking your tissues to change their shape and position and this can take several months or longer. I would suggest you do as your surgeon advises and give this problem adequate time to resolve itself, at least 6 months.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

+1

Regarding:"Waiting for New Crease to Form. Will Massage Work?
I had two very asymmetrical breasts prior to getting 325cc on left and 350 on right. My right breast sat much higher prior and was different shaped and its crease or fold wasn't fully formed. My incisions were under the crease and although the left breast looks good, the right is malshaped. The incision on the old crease is 3/4 of the way down on my breast and its almost a double boob look. My ps has me gently pushing down on the right breast to even it out and creat a new fold. Will it work
?"

As well meaning as your question is, it just does not provide enough information for a good answer. Without a photograph or more to document what is going on it is very hard to begin to answer your question in the manner it deserves to be answered.

All breasts are asymmetric and breast implant surgery may worsen the asymmetry as the breasts become larger and go father away from the chest wall. If you had a constricted breast or a tight lower pole of the breast it would be physically hard for that skin to relax and assume the convex, dome like appearance of an attractive breast REGARDLESS of massaging.

Future treatment would depend on the condition of the breasts BEFORE surgery, what was done during the operation and how your body responded afterwards. I would encourage you to wait 6 months or so to allow gravity to help the skin stretch and the swelling from your surgery to subside BEFORE seriously considering a surgical revision.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Waiting for New Crease to Form. Will Massage Work

+1

Without seeing photos, it is impossible to say whether or not "gentle massage" will make any difference.  In a situation such as you describe, I sometimes place a breast strap over the breast with the higher fold to put pressure on the implant which will then help to stretch the lower pole of the breast.  If the folds themselves are assymetric though, you will likely not get perfect symmetry without a procedure to re-create the breast fold.  I agree that you should wait approx 3-6 months, and if you dont get the results that you were hoping for, a revision surgery my improve the look.  Good luck!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Double bubble after breast aug

+1

Pictures would be helpful.  Also, when did you have the procedure?  It is quite possible that things will settle over time.  I would allow about a year and if a secondary procedure is needed, so be it.  You have a complex situation, and sometimes, it takes more than one try to get it just right, or alternatively, as good as it can get.

Scott E. Kasden, MD