Waiting on ENT Appointment for Injured Nose. Should I Be Concerned?

Called appointments today about my ENT visit only to be told that the consultant didn't sign me off for an appointment now say it'll be Monday until I know when am going in yet next Tuesday will be 2 full weeks since I received the injury to the nose which slightly misaligned it causing some nasal congestion since it happened am abit worried incase the procedure can't be performed under a soo called closed reduction or can it still be done am I worrying too much? Help Please, Francie

Call back, tell them you need to see the doctor asap or find another doctor

+1

I would call back and tell them you just had an injury and need to come in to see the doctor, or find another doctor who can get you in.

Waiting on an ENT appointment for an injured nose

+1

Don't be concerned.  A closed nasal reduction has reported success rates of completely resolving patient's issues 50% of the time in 50% of the patients.  Doing the math that's actually only a 25% success rate or lower.  It is not an ideal procedure by any means.  In my practice I see and take care of over 500 nasal patient's a year.  I universally let the swelling resolve over the first few weeks.  At that time, a better assessment can be made of the full extent of injury and plan the appropriate procedure.  Often there is a combination of bony deformity, septal injury and even the upper lateral cartilage can collapse (middle portion of the nose) which would require a nasal valve repair (area allowing you to breathe in the middle of the nose).  All of these complexities cannot be determined in the initial injury phase.  Let things subside and make sure you see a Double Board Certified Surgeon in both ENT and Facial Plastic Surgery that is comfortable managing both the external aspects of your nose and the internal issues.  Otherwise, you may be setting yourself up for two surgeries and not one.

Shepherd G. Pryor, MD
Scottsdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Avoid closed reductions after nasal trauma

+1

IMHO, you'd be much better off by avioiding the closed nasal reduction which I performed many times during my surgical training.  I believe that closed nasal reductions are not capable of moving the nasal bones back to the midline position, nor repair damaged cartilage as well as a Rhinoplasty.  Rhinoplasty, for nasal trauma, can be performed as soon as the majority of early swelling resolves which typically occurs at 3 weeks follwing the injury.

+1

They can still do the closed reduction in two weeks otherwise they may have to do open reduction. By the way, as you know, the cosultant in the British/Irish healthcare system who is equivalent to a board certified surgeon in the U.S. is highly qualified to take care of you.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose trauma

+1

This is the problem of YOUR HEALTH CARE SYSTEM.

Your other option is to opt out of the system and see a private plastic surgeon and pay for the consult.

+1

Be more demanding. You need to be evaluated by a trained surgeon NOT a consultant. Call again and again.