I Have Been Waiting to Get a Breast Reduction Until After Having Children, Is This The Right Call?

I am 36 and have been waiting until after having any kids for this a breast reduction surgery. i am currently a 34-36 D DD and I am tired of having these heavy boobs. Do I need to wait? If I get them reduced will they not get as big when I do get pregnant? I am 5'1 and about 165lbs.

Timing for a breast reduction

+1

Timing is the real issue.  IF you get pregnant after your breast reduction there is a chance that the skin of the breast will get overstretched and you will develop either more sagging or an enlargement of the breast.  If it is feasible then I would wait. 

Timing of breast reduction surgery

+1

The timing of breast reduction surgery is really up to you. Breast reduction patients are probably the most satisfied plastic surgery patients. There are many benefits:

- breast reduction can greatly decrease a women's shoulder, back, and neck pain,

- breast reduction can treat rashes under the breasts and shoulder grooving from bra straps,

- breast reduction can help you lose weight because you may be able to walk more, take the stairs more, and exercise more.

However, if you have children after a breast reduction, it is possible that they will increase in size. I've had to perform 2 breast reductions on some women for this reason.

So it's really up to you. Visit with at least one board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your situation with them in more detail and do what's best for you. I hope that helps and wish you all the best!!

James Knoetgen, III, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction and Timing in Relation to Pregnancy?

+1

Breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. By removing “excess” breast tissue, adipose tissue, and breast skin  this operation reduces and lifts the breasts to a higher position on the chest wall. By doing so, patients often find improvement in neck, back, and shoulder discomfort and find it easier to form their activities of daily living and exercise.

Timing of the operation will depend on the patient's life circumstances. In general, it is best to do this procedure ( like all other elective body contouring the stages,  when patients have reached their long-term stable weights.  In doing so, improve the safety of the procedure and minimizes the need for further surgery ( in the event of weight gain/loss after the breast reduction procedure).

If at all possible, it is best to wait until after completing pregnancies before undergoing breast reduction surgery. Again, doing so will minimize the chances that patients will require further surgery after pregnancy related breast changes. Patients who seek breast reduction after pregnancy should wait at least 3 to 6 months after they have stopped breast-feeding and when they have reached their long stable weight.  

On the other hand, if patients are not planning on having children for several years, then breast reduction surgery may be indicated;  these patients will enjoy the benefits of a breast reduction surgery on a daily basis. However, these patients should also be aware that further surgery may be necessary after completion of pregnancies.

There is no accurate way of predicting exactly how the breasts will change after pregnancy and there is not much that can be done to avoid these changes ( if they are going to occur).  Maintaining a stable weight  (under the guidance of your OB/GYN) will be helpful in minimizing breast changes that occur secondary to significant weight fluctuations.

Some typical changes seen after pregnancy include a decrease in size, “sagging" and/or the development of some asymmetry.  On the other hand, some women  experience very little change even after several pregnancies.

Ultimately, every patient must decide for herself ( after weighing the above considerations) the appropriate time to undergo breast reduction surgery.

Breast Reduction BEFORE or AFTER having Children

+1

Great question and not one with a clear black or white answer. The best answer would be MAYBE. Allow me to explain.

There is NO doubt that pregnancy chages the shape and weight of the breasts often resulting is breast sagging. As a result, if you are willing to wait several years and put up with the pain and restrictions imposed by large breasts then there is no doubt that having your breast reduction (which would also make them perkier) would ideally best be done at that time.

BUT - can you really wait? Are you really willing to put your life on hold and suffer the pain and restrictions of large breasts for years?  The call is yours.

Memphis, TN

Maybe

+1

It depends on how large your breasts are and how long it will be before you have children.

Large breasts are a task for women to carry around.  There are many negatives to large breasts.

On the other hand, there can be positives, including attraction from men.  You have to decide which

is more important to you.  The negative to breast reduction before pregnancy is that you may lose

sensitivity, you may not be able to breast feed, your breast may be out of shape requiring another operation.  The positive is that you will have several years to enjoy smaller breasts for several

years before pregnancy.

E. Anthony Musarra II, MD

Breast reduction

+1

If you do not plan to have children in the foreseeable future it would be reasonable to have your breasts reduced .  It depends on your individual situation, but from your question you do not mention that you intend to have children soon. If your breasts are giving you significant problems, such as back pain, I see no reason to wait .

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Waiting to have children before having a breast reduction

+1

Waiting to have children before having a breast reduction may be the right choice if you are planning to have children soon. If you are experiencing back pain, bra strap grooving, rashes under the fold or other problems you may want to have the breast reduction first. Your breast will change after having children,  usally hanging more but each person is different.

Sheila Bond, MD
Montclair Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction before or after having children

+1

I would strongly recommend to wait till after you have your children. Your breasts are going to undergo changes after pregnancy. In addition there is always the risk of not been able to breast feed after surgery!!!

If the condition of your breasts is unbearable with pain, headaches, skin irritation and infections then it maybe a case to perform a breast reduction now.

Good luck

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction before or after pregnancy

+1

You should wait until after your pregancy.  Especially if you intend to breast feed your baby.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgery.

Donald Nunn, MD

Breast Reduction and PRegnancy

+1

Hi there-

My advice would depend a lot on two things- how much trouble your large breasts are causing you, and your expected timing for any future pregnancy.

If you think you will be trying to become pregnant within the next year and you can live with your large breasts over this time period, I would definitely wait. The reason? Pregnancy usually causes changes in the shape, size, and appearance of the breasts that requires surgery to improve- it would be a shame to have two operations (one before pregnancy and one after) if you could have only had one.

On the other hand, if you think it may be more than a year or two before you become pregnant, your large breasts are a major problem for you, and you are willing to accept the possibility that you will need a second operation after your family is complete, then it would not be wrong to pursue the reduction now- especially if it will truly improve your life over the intervening period.

Give these things some thought- you'll know what the right thing to do for you is.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS