Why Do I Have to Wait For A Revision? My First Result Is Awful. (photo)

Why, when my doctor already knows I'll need a revision for lateral displacement and knows she'll need to cut the pockets to release the implants do I have to be left with deformed breasts and low self confidence for another 4 - 6 months before I can have revision surgery? This is so upsetting. I had my boobs done to feel better about myself and I'm worse off now than I was b4. I can't even be happy because they look horrible. I'm a little over 2 months post op. Please advise. Thank you!

Revision timing

+1

Generally revisions are performed once the tissues have softened for optimal results. The timing varies somewhat. Your implants appear a bit large for your frame and decreasing the size might make a better outcome more possible for you. You need to talk  to your surgeon to have the issues and options detailed for your case. Hopefully you checked out your surgeon before surgery to make sure he or she is qualified.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Your case

+1

Looking at your photos you had both implants put in and skin taken away.  Many commentors here have noted the difficulty with combining augmemntation and lift.  I agree with them completely and all my patients know that revisionary surgery is more common when combining the two procedures.  The biggest reason I can see for waiting is that if you need to correct lateral displacement by sewing the pocket down it helps to have a well-developed scar capsule to hold the sutures.  This can take 6-12 months or longer.  Hang in there and good luck.

Barry Stuart Handler, MD

Why Do I Have to Wait For A Revision? My First Result Is Awful.

+1

It can be very frustrating when you know you will need correction. But the reason is that things need to be completely healed (we say 6 months) for tissues to be done stretching and implants to settle where they will be. Anything done before that time runs the risk of chasing a moving target and if unfortunately you do need a revision, you want it to be the last one. Give yourself the best chance. Wait just a bit.

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

+1

Thanks for the posted photos. There are ALWAYS exceptions to waiting 3 to 4 months, and you might be one of them. Seek second opinions from other boarded PSs in your area. 

Breast augmentation and lift

+1

Combining a breast augmentation and a lfit can be very difficult and can lead to unfavorable results in some. However, in your case, you have to give it some more time to settle a bit.  A revision may not be as complex as you may think.

You need to wait for the revision surgery

+1

Your results from the combined lift/aug is not acceptable and you will need revision. Your revision is going to be very complex .  Your implants are too big and  too high. You should get multiple opinions(in person) before the revision which can be done in 3-6 months post surgery.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Need more time before considering revision of the breasts

+1

A straight breast augmentation and a standard breast lift in and of themselves are straight forward operations however when combined they can be difficult.   Each portion of the operation places a different degree of stress on the breast  tissue and a shape that you have is not uncommon at all.   Your plastic surgeon is absolutely correct.  Give it more time and you may be very surprised at the final  result.   The easiest thing for a surgeon to do is to operate the hardest thing to do is to wait it out.   Healing is unique to each individual an as a patient and as a surgeon we must understand that it takes time to achieve a final result.   Have a nice open discussion with your plastic surgeon and I am sure that you will feel more comfortable waiting.  

Waiting for revision

+1
I understand your concern about airing for revisional surgery. However, sometimes it is important to allow the healing to settle down prior to reoperating. The tissues are still swollen and operating too soon can produce its own complications. However, under your circumstances, if you are truly unhappy, simply removing the implantss can be perform at any time. All of this should be discussed at great length with your plastic surgeon. WIshing you the best of luck.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Revisionary breast surgery timing

+1

Thank you for your question and photos.

There are both physiological and “psychological” reasons to wait on having  revisionary surgery. From the physiological standpoint, it takes many months ( and even up to one year) to see the final results of surgery. factors such as swelling,  tissue contraction,  skin redraping,  implant shifting etc. come into play.
From the psychological standpoint, patients undergo an “adaptation period"  during which time they get used to the changes that the surgical procedure has brought about. For example, it is very common for patients to feel that they are too big or too small;  severe emotional swings can also occur. Obviously, it is best for patients not to be making important decisions while they are experiencing these emotional “ups and downs”.
Having revisionary surgery too soon exposes patients to additional risks both from the physiological/anatomical complication standpoint as well as from the psychological/patient satisfaction standpoint.