Is It Okay to Wait a Week for my Next Invisalign Tray?

I'm on my second set of invisalign trays and I have about another week until i'm supposed to switch to my third set. I lost my top retainer and was wondering if it'd be alright to hold out until I go to the dentist in a week to get my new set. I'm away at school so I have to wait until I can go home in a week to get my attachments glued on and my third retainers. Would it be better to not wear anything until next week? or should I put in my last tray?

You'll want to make sure you have your 2nd aligner in going in for attachments

+2

If you're not wearing your aligners going into your appointment, your teeth will not be exactly where they are supposed to be for the visit when attachments will go on.  It sounds like your doctor planned for them to go on at stage 3, so your teeth have to be exactly where they are supposed to be going into stage 3.  Waiting a week with no aligner or with aligner 1 will not allow your teeth to get where they are supposed to go and could compromise the location/placement of the attachments.  An exception would be if there ws little movement on the teeth between aligners 1 and 2.

Best thing to do is call your doctor and speak to them about what you should do.  Good luck!

Toronto Orthodontist

Consistency and compliance with Invisalign tray wear is critical for success.

+1

If you lose an aligner tray during Invisalign treatment, you should immediately use the previous tray (which you should always keep in the red aligner case for just this reason). If you have worn the aligner tray for over one week, and you have the next aligner in your possession, then it is possible to move to the next aligner rather than returning to the previous one. 

In your case I would recommend calling your dentist immediately and he may be able to send you the next aligner tray so you can keep forward progress with your treatment.

Gerry Curatola, DDS
Manhattan Cosmetic Dentist

DO NOT WAIT a WEEK without any Invisalign aligner in

+1

You should definitely go back to wearing the first set. Make sure you tell your dentist exactly what you are doing so that he can plan for your next visit accordingly.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist