Should I Wait to Get Rhinoplasty & Chin Augmentation Until I'm 18?

I have always had a convex facial feature set which has given me trouble from my friends, schoolmates, peers etc. I have a nose which is hooked and wide nostrils combined with a weak receding chin. The rest of my body is in shape but my face just drags me down. I have been considering Plastic Surgery since I started high school, but never set a date in stone. Should I wait till I am 18 or is it not as serious as others and myself make it out to be?

Chin Augmentation and Rhinoplasty in Young Adults

+1

Yes, Waiting until their is full facial development and then doing a simultaneous chin augmentation and rhinoplasty would be best

Rhinoplasty and Chin Augmentation at age 16 is acceptable

+1

As long as you are over 16 years of age it is acceptable to undergo nose and chin surgery.  It is possible to reduce the convexity of the nasal bridge and place a small to medium sized chin implant in for augmentation purposes.  The wide nostrils can be reduced through alarplasty.  You should wait until you are at least 16 years of age and will need your parental consent before proceeding with this type of surgery.

Rhinoplasty and Chin Augmentation for Teenaged Patients

+1

CranioFacial and NasoFacial disproportions can be very difficult for teenagers. Plastic surgery of the nose and face can result in very pleasing results. Performing plastic surgery procedures in teenaged patients is complicated by many factors. Certainly performed surgery before facial growth has stopped would mean that the facial surgery could under go changed post operatively. Additionally, many decisions to have surgery made when one is still in the formative years may not have the same weight or concern when the patient has matured.

Injection Rhinoplasty (using short soft tissue filler) is also a less invasive option, may afford a teenage patient a sense of whether surgery at a later, more mature date, may be an option. Injection rhinoplasty is also not without risk (vascular compromise and scarring being rare, but reported)

A consultation with an experienced and skilled  board certified plastic or ENT surgeon to determine if the bone plates have fused (an indication that growth has ceased) and to assess appropriateness of surgery in consultation with a teens parents needs to occur before any decision to proceed. 

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD

Rhinoplasty can be done as young as 14 or 15 years of age as long as the patient is mature

+1

Historically, most plastic surgeons have advised patients to wait until they were at least 16 years of age.  This was due to concern about injuring centers of facial growth and possible lack of maturity of the patient.  I have found that rhinoplasty can safely be done as young as 14 or 15 years of age. 

Key points to consider are whether you have completed your growth spurts and whether you are emotionally prepared for the results of surgery.  My advice is to have consultations with multiple surgeons who are specialists in rhinoplasty.  Board certification in Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Cosmetic Surgery or General Plastic Surgery is recommended.

Gregory Pippin, MD
Metairie Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can do sooner if your parents are supportive

+1

As long as your facial growth is complete or near completion (there are ways to assess this) you can do the procedures earlier than age 18.  Obviously your parents/guardians will need to give their consent if your are under 18.  I have done rhinoplasty + chin augmentation on 16 year olds.

Sam Naficy, MD

Age for Rhinoplasty and Chin Augmentation

+1

There is nothing magical about age 18; it is only a guideline. Each patient should  be evaluated individually. Over the past 35 years have done rhinoplasties or chin implants on  young men under 18 years of age, especially when there are psychological issues. Consult with a good, experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.

16 is a good age to consider rhinoplasty in teenage boys

+1

Cosmetic surgery in teens is best approached at the time when they have reached both emotional and facial maturity. Facial growth will continue into the twenties, though nasal shape is such that rhinoplasty is stable and the results predictable at age 16. Emotional maturity is important because cosmetic surgery such as rhinoplasty and chin augmentation affect appearance and how you perceive yourself. You need to have a firm grip on how you feel about your nose, and what you like. From the picture you sent we can tell that you are an appropriate candidate for nasal shaping and a chin implant. When is the issue. You might consider surgery after your senior year before you go away to school, when other don't 'know' so much about what you do. Remember, cosmetic surgery is what we do for ourselves, to help give a positive outlook, best foot forward. There is nothing wrong with your appearance now, and schoolmates or friends should be giving you little trouble about it. As a teen it is hard to be allowed to be who you are. It takes courage, sometimes help. Don't be surprised if you get just as much grief for trying to do something good for yourself. Find friends who like you, not just what you look like. When the time comes, nasal shaping and a chin implant will look great. Do it for yourself, and when you want to do it.

peterejohnsonmd

Age for rhinoplasty and chin augmentation.

+1

Generally speaking, the more adult the patient is, both anatomically and psychologically, the better. Surgery on the nose and chin can often be done around 16-17 years old (and debatably younger in some cases). I generally like to see that the patient's nose has taken on its adult appearance and hasn't changed in the last year or two. The chin can certainly be considered before 18, though. 

The secondary issue is the minor status of the patient. At least here in the U.S., a patient must be at least 18 to consent to surgery. Younger patients require their parents consent, but I insist on them having their parents blessing and support, as well.

--DCP

David C. Pearson, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and age

+1

Hi, I'm sorry to hear that this has been such a problem for you. You are a good candidate for both a rhinoplasty and a chin implant. In boys, we like to wait until age 18, in girls age 16, prior to facial surgery. We use these age cut-offs to ensure that the bones have stopped growing, and that the patient is mature enough to undergo surgery which will change his or her appearance. I suggest seeing 1-2 plastic or ENT surgeons in your area who do rhinoplasty surgery. You'll be able to get a better idea of what the surgery involves, and what the best time frame will be for you. Best wishes, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

You can consider Rhinoplasty Surgery and Chin Implant Surgery at age 16.

+1

I agree with your assessment, and you could consult several experienced, board-certified Rhinoplasty specialists for an opinion regarding your surgery. I don't think you need to wait till age 18 to address your concerns. I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon