Should I wait until I am older before I decide on getting a breast augmentation?

Should I wait until I am older before I decide on getting a breast augmentation? I am only 18 years old, but I have wanted a boob job for as long as I can remember. I want to get them done fully for myself. I am VERY serious about this. I feel like I make pretty good decision, but I've never made a decision this big. 5'2 105 pounds 32A Thanks so much for your time! :)

Right Age for Breast Augmentation

+1
At 18 years of age your breasts are probably as developed as they are going to be and you could consider breast augmentation. When the FDA approved silicone implants in 2006, for no good reason, they recommended a minimum age of 22 before they thought a woman would be "mature" enough to make the decision about silicone breast implants.

Most surgeons think this is bogus reasoning but are afraid to place a silicone implant in people under age 22 since it would technically be not "FDA approved". As a physician, we often do things that are "off label" and not "FDA Approved as long as this is disclosed to the patient. 

Someone who is as thin as you should be very cautious about getting saline because you will have a much higher chance of rippling.

Seek consultation with a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who specializes in cosmetic plastic surgery, as evidenced by membership in The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. Ask to see many pre and post op photos and speak with previous patients.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

An A cup, small framed woman seeking implants may benefit from gel implants.

+1

Greetings,

You are young, thin, and seeking a breast enlargement. Perhaps you have enough breast tissue to obtain a nice result with an appropriate saline implant.

If this is not the case, you may wish to wait until you are 22 years old and consider gel implants.

I would suggest that you discuss this with a board certified plastic surgeon(s) in your area to decide whether you should wait for gel implants or proceed with saline implants.

Best Regards,

Douglas J. Raskin, MD, DMD
Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon

Age for breast augmentation

+1
I would recommend waiting until your breasts are fully developed.  If you feel like you are done growing, then it would be ok to proceed with an augmentation.  Silicone implants are not approved by the FDA until you are 22 years of age so I would recommend saline implants.  Schedule a consultation with a plastic surgeon to see if you're a good candidate for surgery.

Eugene Kim, MD