Wait Loss Before Breast Implants?

I'm looking to get Breast Implants but I had plan on losing, about 40lbs. Should I wait?

Breast augmentation then weight loss

+2

Jilijay,

40 lbs of weight loss is significant for Breast augmentation. Although your height and weight is relevant, it seems that this amount of weight loss should be done safely and progressively first, then stabilize and then do your augmentation. You may notice some breast tissue sagging so be on the safe side. It's more likely to result in a true examination of what your breasts will look like after this amount of weight loss.

Best Wishes,

DoctorMeadE

Best that you're comfortable with your weight before any cosmetic procedure

+1

It is best to be at your optimal comfortable weight before considering any cosmetic surgical procedure. If you lose 40 lbs. after breast augmentation, you may not be happy with the final breast size. It is not uncommon to lose a cup size or two after a weight drop of that magnitude. This is a costly elective cosmetic procedure and you want the best results for yourself, so lose the weight first.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation results are best when you're at stable weight

+1

It is ALWAYS a good idea for Plastic surgeons to be able to work on a stable structure.  If your weight fluctuates, so would your breasts and other parts of your body. The best results are obtainable in people with stable weight, preferably within range of their ideal weight.

Weight loss and breast implants

+1

Hi, Jilyjay.

This is, for me, a pretty straight forward question. And the answer is lose the weight first. There are two reasons for this. The first is that with the weight loss, you may lose breast volume (size). This will affect your choice of implant size. So if you have the breast enlargement first, then lose weight and breast volume, you may wish you had gone with a larger implant.

The other consideration is how weight loss will affect the shape of your breast. This will also affect how the breast enlargement is done. You may need a breast lift if you have developed sagging with the weight loss, or there may be different options regarding the placement of the implant with regards to the chest muscle.

While no one can tell you for sure how weight loss will change the shape and size of your breasts, it is pretty certain that weight loss will change you breasts. So it's probably best to lose the weight first, and then have the surgery.

Best of luck with the weight loss!

David B.

David B. Reath, MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

You can have breast implants even if you are overweight.

+1

Hi!

1) It is extremely difficult to lose 40 pounds. So is this realistic? Often, telling patients that they have to lose weight before they can have cosmetic surgery is the same as telling them that they cannot have it.

2) It depends on your exact anatomy. You might look better, and feel more in proportion with breast implants, regardless of your weight.

3) Cosmetic surgery is meant to improve your body image. You can be overweight and beautiful.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast implants and weight loss

+1

If you are definitely going to lose the weight that you propose, then I would hold off with the surgery until you get to your goal weight.

Losing weight before surgery is always a good idea

+1

Hi Jilyjay,

Yes, it's always a good idea to lose weight prior to body contouring/breast procedures. This not only decreases the chance of you needing a revision, but it also decreases the complication rate such as wound healing issues. If you were to have a breast augmentation, then lose the weight postop, there's a good chance you'd need revisional surgery. Once you plateau and have lost the weight you want, then go in for a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon.

Elan B. Singer, MD

Lose your planned weight first prior to augmentation

+1

Yes, if this is your immediate plan, then I would highly recommend that you proceed with weight loss. This is a significant amount of weight to lose and it could efffect the results of surgery as well as potentially result in the need for a breast lift as well

Weight loss and breast implants

+1

If you are planning to lose 40 lbs of weight, I would recommend you hold off on your breast augmentation. Your breasts may chance in volume and shape following your anticipated weight loss. In addition, you may experience some sagging due to the weight loss. All of these can be addressed at the time of your breast surgery. If you are planning 40 lbs weight loss - wait on the breast surgery...

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Weight loss and breast implants

+1

1. If you know that you lose weight from your breasts when you do lose weight tyhen you should wait until after you have lost your weight

2. If you know that you do not lose much weight from your breasts if any then you can have the augmentation now or later.

3. If you are not sure then you should wait.

4. We all may have weight loss goals but achieving those goals may not occur. I often suggest to patients that they should give it a try for about 3 months and then see how they have done. If there is no significant weight loss by then they should probebly proced with whatever they were planning because try achievement of the goal will probably not happen.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon