Should I Lose More Weight Before I Get a Tummy Tuck/Flank Liposuction?

I have recently lost over 200 pounds in a little over a year. I will have a tummy tuck (along with flank lip and possibly a butt lift/augmentation) in either December or May. I was wondering if it would be better to wait till May or go ahead and do it in December (I will still lose some weight before then)? In other words, will my results be greatly different? Thanks Here are my before/after/shirtless pics. 21, 6'3", 208

A stable weight is the best weight before tummy tuck or liposuction

+2

It is great to lose addition weight before a tummy tuck or contouring with liposuction, however a stable weight or an ideal weight is best. Your ideal weight is one that places you in the range of good health, and is the weight you can and will maintain after your procedure. There is little to be gained in body contouring if you lose an additional 20 pounds, only to gain it back after your procedure. If the goal is to stay there, then go for it.

peterejohnsonmd

Don't loose any more weight

+2

from your pictures it appears that you are about right.

I do'nt recommend loosing more weight because then you will have more sagging of your buttocks, and possibly face. Even if you have some excess fat in your flanks, this can be liposucitoned at the time of tummy tuck.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Achieve a stable weight prior to body contouring surgery

+2

Congratulations on your weight loss. I would recommend achieving a stable weight prior to body contouring.

Abdominoplasty after massive weight loss

+2

The answer is very simple. You should not have a tummy tuck until you have lost to wherever you can, or plan to, and have remained stable there for several months. The main reason for this is safety. You need to let your body’s metabolism stabilize prior to subjecting it to the stress of surgery. This is especially important in you since you have lost close to 4 pounds a week. This is a very rapid loss. The ideal, to prevent metabolic fluxes is less than 2 pounds a week. Additionally, your BMI is presently 26, indicating that, ideally, you could lose some more. May, therefore, sounds safer.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck timing...

+2

First of all, congratulations on your weight loss!  That much weight takes a large amount of work and you should be proud!

From looking at your pictures you do not have that much more weight to lose.  I tell patients it is best to be at their best before having an abdominoplasty.  It is also best to have a stable weight so as to make sure you are not at all malnourished if you have rapidly lost weight.

Good luck!

Evan Sorokin

Evan Sorokin, MD
Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon

Losing Weight before TT

+1

Congratulations on you weight loss.  You should be at your long term stable weight prior to surgery. However, it does not appear that you will need to lose much more weight.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Weight loss after abdominoplasty

+1
The rule of thumb to achieve the best result would be to reach and maintain your ideal weight for at least six months. You appear to be fortunate that after such a huge weight loss, your skin has retracted nicely. Congratulations on this accomplishment and best of luck with the surgery.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Tummy tuck timing?

+1

Congratulations on what you have accomplished thus far.The ideal situation is for you to lose all of the weight and be stable in regards to weight prior to surgery - this will give you the best chances  for the optimal result.   For example, if you have the surgery and then lose 20 more pounds postoperatively, you may need to have  additional surgery.  

The Ideal Candidate for Tummy Tuck

+1

Congratulations on losing 200 pounds, which is equivalent to 720,000 calories lost!

Looking at your photos, you have loose, thin skin, which is ideal for your procedure.  I don't think losing more weight will necessarily improve your result.  Your BMI (Body Mass Index) is 26, which means you are in the over weight category.  However, the average BMI in the United States is around 27, which means you are in the average zone for American population. 

Theoretically, if you lose more weight and drop your BMI, you may have less risk of complications related to surgery.

Best of Luck.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss before Body Contouring

+1

Looking at your appearance, you look like a great candidate for the procedures planned, at this current weight. If you have weight fluctuations, you can have normal appearance changes as a result. It would be ideal to make sure your weight is stable for a period of time 6mos-1yr, before undergoing surgery so that the results are fairly stable. 

Hayley Brown, MD