Should I Wait Until I Lose the Excess Pounds to Do Cool Sculpting?

I am 5'6" and 139. My ideal weight is 135. I exercise regularly (spinning, pilates, yoga) and a lot of that weight is muscle weight. Should I wait until I get down to my ideal weight to do cool sculpting?

Coolsculpting requires you to be at your ideal weight for best results

+1
I would encourage you to wait for this procedure until you are at your ideal weight and diet and exercise regularly. You will be most happy with your results when you are treating problem areas. Zeliq is not a weight loss device. It is better to wait to you are an ideal candidate and that way you will be happy with your results. 

CoolSculpting for fat loss is best done on focal fat deposits not responsive to diet and exercise

+1

When the fat accumulations do not respond to exercise and diet, then liposuction or Zeltiq's CoolSculpting are appropriate. If you're truly muscular providing much of the 139 pounds at 5'6" then CoolSculpting can help love handles or the abdomen.  If I determine in consultation by examination that the prominence of the abdomen, however, is a distended muscle wall that needs a tummy tuck, I tell my patients that Zeltiq would not be beneficial unless there also is a local depot of excess fat under the skin and above the muscle wall ( fat around the intestines causing a "beer belly" is not amenable to reduction with CoolSculpting.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Loosing Weight Before Undergoing Cool Sculpting

+1

Dear Sally,

Ideally, it is recommended that a patient looses and burns as much fat as possible following a religious exercise schedule and a healthy diet to reach a plateau where the "stubborn" fat pads remain. At that point, the cool sculpting will provide the patient with the optimal results.

That said, it does not mean that every patient will have to follow the ideal route since every body is different and most of the time patients achieve acceptable weight and fat loss enabling them to fall within the optimal operating range of the device used in cool sculpting hence achieving optimal results.

Best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Weight and CoolSculpting

+1
You do not have to wait to lose the excess four pounds. The ideal candidate for CoolScultping should be in good health in fairly normal weight, and simply have areas of fat that have proven hard to get rid of. Many CoolSculpting patients find that their results have given them incentive to begin new habits with diet and exercise that have resulted in further weight loss and enhanced self esteem.

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Losing Weight Before Coolsculpting

+1

Coolsculpting works best on patients who are at their target weight (or within 5-10 pounds) - which it sounds like you are - so you do not need to wait to proceed with the Coolsculpting treatment on the areas that are diet and exercise resistant.

Our patients are loving this treatment.

Best Wishes.

CoolSculpting and Excess weight

+1

CoolSculpting is used to sculpt localized areas of fat that are diet and exercise resistant.  In general, ideal CS candidates are individuals who are within their ideal Body Mass Index (BMI). BMI is a measure of body fat based on height and weight.  Based on your height and weight, you have a normal BMI and would likely be a good candidate for CS especially given your regular exercise program.

Teresa Mann, MD
Bozeman Dermatologist

Coolsculpting sculpts your "heavier" areas

+1

CoolSculpting is used for sculpting down the areas where you are preferentially heavier. If you are close to your target weight( it sounds like you are) and there are areas that you normally are a bit heavier even at your ideal weight there is no reason to wait. Coolsculpting is perfect for those looking to contour away pockets of fat or bulges.

Deborah Atkin, MD
Del Mar Dermatologic Surgeon